Chapter 9 | New Friendships

"Uhhhhhhhhh

"Uhhhhhhhhh."

I cough into my fist, trying not to react.

"Ohhhhhhhhh."

I guzzle down my glass of water as a form of distraction.

"Ohhhhh, God. Yes!"

Yeah. This again.

This time I put both my hands over my face to conceal my horrified expression as Dani bites into the cranberry scone I just made. Her eyes roll to the back of her head in obvious pleasure.

"YES!"

Oh my God. How did this happen to me?

Actually, the answer is super simple albeit one hell of a surprise. After Harper and I made it back to my bakery and had a short lunch, she was entranced by the smell of baked goods and promised she was going to come back after her shift with her friend. That friend turned out to be Dani.

Yup. Totally not weird at all.

I was frozen in shock when the two of them strolled in late afternoon. Dani immediately ran over to me and threw her arms around me in a hug, not quite reading the room. I hugged her back gingerly and tried not to feel awkward or remember the way she'd kept me up all night just a month back. Because of Holden. Because she had sex with Holden. Raunchy, apparently incredible sex. Gah. Disgusting.

Harper noticed my expression first and asked what was wrong. That's when Dani finally caught on and burst out laughing.

"Don't tell me you still feel awkward because you saw me do the walk of shame from your neighbour's apartment!" She snorted in amusement.

Harper looked confused as hell. "You know Dani's neighbour?"

"Your boss, Harps. Keep up."

"You're neighbours with Mr. Rey?" Harper's eyes nearly bugged out of her head. Then her face contorted as she looked back to Dani. "You slept with my boss?"

Dani's only answer to that had been it's a long story and Harper looked like she was going to faint so she sat in a booth. I offered to whip something up because it was the perfect excuse to get some distance seeing as I was freaking the fuck out. Because, Jesus, how small was San Francisco? So I let the two chill out while I got lost in baking and tried not to feel overwhelmed by this confusing turn of events.

Except Dani still hasn't gotten a chance to explain the story because she's too busy moaning like Sir Whiskers over my scone and I can't, for the life of me, keep a straight face.