Chapter 27 | Past Is Back

I thank my last customer of the day, handing off her change and waving goodbye

I thank my last customer of the day, handing off her change and waving goodbye. She offers a smile that looks kind of tight-lipped and pained. What is up with that? I've been getting those smiles all day. At first I thought I had something on my face but I've checked and re-checked and I'm totally fine. My makeup is in place and I'm my usual cheerful self.

Brushing it off, I follow her to the door and close it behind her. I barely turn the sign to closed when two faces appear in my line of vision out of freaking nowhere. A second later the door is pushed open and slams right into my nose. Nice.

"Ow," I emphasize, clutching the throbbing bone.

Harper winces. "Sorry!"

"Ignore her." Dani smirks over at her. "She's all hot and bothered after her weekend with Sawyer."

"For the last time, we did not have sex!"

"Sure, you didn't."

I rub my nose as the pain subsides. "I think she's telling the truth. She's all jittery and insane. It's pent-up sexual frustration."

"Thank you!" She throws her hands up. "Wait. No. That makes it sound like I'm sexually frustrated for him, which I'm not."

"Sure, you aren't."

The poor thing looks short of pulling her hair out. "This isn't sexual frustration. He's annoying. He bothered me the whole time we were at the office, coming up behind me to speak in my ear and grabbing my waist to walk past me and staring at my lips every time I cussed him off. He's a player and a jerk."

"He wants you," Dani and I say in unison.

"He wants anything with a vagina! The last thing I'm going to do is fuel his ego. Seriously, that man doesn't love anyone but himself."

"Who said anything about love?" Dani snorts. "Just let him fuck you crazy and move on."

"Unless you have feelings for him," I offer. I don't miss the way her cheeks go red and can't help my grin.

"There's nothing to like." She brushes my observation off. "Can we stop talking about him already? I wouldn't put it past him to overhear our conversation and spend the rest of my life rubbing it in my face."

"Now she's talking about him being there for the rest of her life? You're in trouble, Harps." Dani pats her head and Harper smacks it off.

"Anyway," Harper glares. Her expression shifts to something a lot more solemn when she looks at me. "Uh...we were wondering if you had a chance to look at your phone today."

"My phone?" My mind wanders back to all the weird stares I've been getting. "Don't tell me SFPM tagged me in something else."

I reach for it in my apron and hands shoot out to stop me until I'm forced to hold them back up in surrender. Sheesh, what's their deal?