Epilogue

Evelyn blinked

Evelyn blinked.

What...?

She shifted, only to find her arms chained taught against the stonewall behind her. She winced in pain as her surroundings slowly came into view. Her wings lay limp and broken against her back, draped lifelessly across the ground. She tried to retract them, give her better movement, but she lacked the strength to do it.

Her head drifted upward, eyes meeting gold. A man with short brown hair and a strange curved mask stood before her, tugging gloves back over his fingers.

"I'm surprised it worked." He snorted. Even with the threatening beak mask, Evelyn could see the grin behind it.

He knelt in front of her, a finger coming up to her chin.

"Hello, Angel," His eyes crinkled in delight. "My name is Chisaki Kai." He paused before pulling away, stepping back as he brushed his knees off. "Better known as Overhaul." Her eyes widened. She had heard about him and the Yakuza through the grapevine, but only about his quirk and ideals.

"That is quite the quirk you have."

Evelyn growled, her hair slipping into her face. "What do you want?"

The man hummed lowly. "Well, you see, if I can erase quirks and enhance them..." He paused, spinning dramatically and spread his hands.

"What's stopping me from creating them?" He let out a short laugh. "And that's where you come in, Angel." He grasped the door handle before pulling it open. It creaked loudly, the screech of metal piercing the air. "I need a test subject." He glanced back over his shoulder with a grin.

"No one will miss someone who's already dead."

MORTAL: BOOK 2 COMING SUMMER 2021