3

third person

tatum runs the whole way back to the DX, in case bob or any of his friends find her. tatum slows down as she reaches the DX entrance door, so steve or sodapop don't think anything's wrong.

"where've you been? and where's our food?" sodapop asks.

"i was at the DQ, they ran out of your usual's." tatum lies.

"dammit." steve says.

"well i'm gonna head home. i don't want my old man being worried." tatum says.

"bye, tater-tot." steve says. tatum waves goodbye.

"want me to walk you home?" sodapop asks.

"it's only a few minutes away." tatum states.

"i need to talk to you anyway." sodapop says.

"fine." tatum says. sodapop and tatum walk out of the gas station and head towards tatum's house. her house was big, her parents could pay all their bills. sometimes, her parents even payed for the curtis' bills since their parents died. tatum's parents weren't poor. her dad works in the army so he gets paid a good amount. tatum had an older brother, ethan, he died when a soc stabbed him repeatedly in the neck. dallas winston ended up murdering the soc. dallas is like a big brother to tatum, always protects her. tatum told the police when dallas got caught that it was self defense, the police agreed with tatum, so dallas never got a jail sentence. tatum's family were never the same after ethan's death. tatum's thankful that her parents didn't blame it on her, even though she does.

"tatum... what really happened at the DQ?" sodapop asks, breaking the silence. tatum knew she has to tell him the truth. she doesn't want to end up like ethan. she also knew sodapop seriosuly wants to know, because he never calls her by her full name.

"just a soc." tatum replies.

"what did the soc do?" sodapop asks.

"what they always do." tatum mutters.

"please tell me, tate. i'll protect you." sodapop states.

"i told bob he was finally becoming smart after seventeen years, and he didn't like that so he told me to stop or i'll be having his kids, so i broke his nose and held my switchblade up to his throat, he ran away after that." tatum explains.

"i'm gonna kill him." sodapop mumbles under his breath so tatum doesn't hear.

"i'm sorry i lied to you and steve about your food not being there. i just didn't want to end up like eth-" tatum says, when sodapop cuts her off.

"it's okay. i'm not mad, and i highly doubt that steve will be mad. as long as you're okay, that's all that matters right now." sodapop gives her sympathetic smile.

"thank you, soda... for everything. i'd be nowhere without you." tatum smiles, giving sodapop a hug. sodapop returns the hug. "i should get going." 

"alright. twenty-seven hours tomorrow, will be sodapop and tatum time." sodapop smiles.

"uh, sodapop... there's only twenty-four hours in a day." tatum corrects.

"oh shit. well, you know what i mean." sodapop laughs awkwardly. "see ya tomorrow, tate!"

"see ya, drop-out!" tatum laughs, walking up to her porch.

"fuck you!" sodapop yells.

"love you too!" tatum yells back.

a/n

damn, my friends would never be like sodapop.