epilogue

third person

after the gang read their letters from tatum, they were all crying, even dallas, he wasn't ashamed of it though.

darry continued to look after sodapop and ponyboy. he ended up taking over his fathers business.

two-bit ended up becoming sober. tatum's letter taught him that he didn't need to have beer to have fun. he needed his buddies to have fun.

dallas is still hood, you shouldn't be surprised. dallas has learned, from johnny, that it's okay to show his emotions. it helped a lot after tatum died.

ponyboy became a poet, not a famous one though. people say he's better than shakespeare. he's having the best life you could ever imagine, even if he's still in tulsa.

johnny, well he's still johnny, still scared of every soc that he see's. after tatum died, johnny moved into the curtis household. they treat him like a brother. johnny's parents passed away in their sleep a few months after tatum died, johnny cared about his parents, even though they were drunks and treated johnny like a punching bag.

steve, steve is a broken boy. even though he and tatum were never official, he still talks about as if she was. he still drag races with sodapop, who is his best friend and moved on from the bad past, but hasn't and never forgotten tatum.

as for sodapop, sodapop never went to war, instead, he surprisingly went back to school and ended up getting really good grades. he is now a well-known racecar driver. he misses tatum all the time. he always thinks about her. he knows they were better off as friends. he thinks his whole life is empty without her. he always tells himself, "what would tatum want you to do?"

the gang haven't been the same since tatum died, they feel like the glue to keeping them together has just started to unstick. but somehow, tatum's death has brought them closer. just like it did with ethan. the gang always have meals together, and before they eat, they always hold hands, close their eyes, and say tatum's poem in unison. it's starting to become a tradition.

up in heaven, ethan, tatum, and the curtis parents are smiling over the gang. tatum knows that even if the gang don't want to, they blame themselves for her death. but they know that tatum still loves them no matter what.

not all sad stories have sad outcomes.

a/n

i can't believe this book is over. it made me realize how you don't know what you have until it's gone. the past two chapters, including this one, made me cry. i never thought this story would end up so sad. anyways, thank you for coming this far, ily guys <3

stay gold,
thenategirl