5

third person

sodapop and tatum talked the whole way to the drag race area. well, mainly sodapop talked, tatum just listened.

"sodapop?" tatum says.

"yeah?" sodapop questions.

"will you ever go to school again? darry seems to have everything in control and if you guys need help with the bills, my parents can pay. it's no big deal." tatum explains.

"tate... i'd only go to school again to see you and the gang, but i can do that after school. darry needs help paying the bills, that's why i work. what's gonna happen when we're like thirty years old, we can't just come running to you if we have financial problems." sodapop states.

"i know... it's just that... i miss having you around at school. it's not the same with two-bit and steve or johnny. ponyboy's in another grade so he won't understand the stuff we talk about. i just feel... lonely, y'know?" tatum admits.

"aw look at baby tate turning all soft." sodapop laughs.

"shut up, drop-out." tatum giggles.

"when will you stop calling me that?" sodapop asks.

"when you go back to school." tatum answers.

"you're really funny, t. really funny." sodapop says, sarcastically.

"i know." tatum smiles.

----

"go get 'em, tiger!" tatum smiles, playfully punching sodapop in the shoulder as he goes to leave for the drag race.

"next time you see me, i'll be a winner!" sodapop says, already proud of himself even though the race hasn't even started.

"you better be, or you can kiss our friendship goodbye!" tatum jokes.

"hey!" sodapop yells.

"i'm joking, i'm joking!" tatum laughs. "go! the race is about to start!"

"bye tate!" sodapop yells, running off to his car.

----

"GO SODAPOP!" tatum yells from the sideline as sodapop drifts from around the corner. eddie, a greaser, is versing sodapop in the drag race.

"oh my god, babe! let's watch this drag race! maybe you can compete one day and win for me!" a soc girl giggles to her soc boyfriend. out of curiosity, tatum turns around to see who the couple are.

"sandy!" tatum yells. "who's this fucker your with?"

"number one, he isn't a fucker. number two, he's my back-up boyfriend." sandy says proudly.

"you can't have a back-up boyfriend! you're with soda!" tatum yells, clearly pissed.

"well i can have a back-up boyfriend because i do! anyway, i've got his child inside of me." sandy smiles.

"WHAT THE FUCK?! YOU FUCKED HIM?!" tatum yells, getting sodapop's attention as he drifts around another corner, crashing into a tree. an agonizing scream comes out of sodapop's mouth.

"let's go, kevin!" sandy says, walking away from the race. tatum runs over to sodapop and holds his head in her arms.

"soda... can you hear me? please be okay... please." tatum cries to sodapop's unconscious body.

a/n

my heart aches for soda.