11

third person

"so, tate..." sodapop says, jumping on the seat next to tatum at the tastee freeze, "i was wondering if you'd like to go with sandy and i to the nightly double."

"no, thanks. you two should have a sandypop day." tatum smiles.

"sandypop?" sodapop asks, confused.

"sandy and sodapop, equal sandypop." tatum explains.

"ohh, right. that sounds nice, we'll do that." sodapop smiles.

"okay, have fun." tatum says.

"we will. i love you." sodapop says.

"i love you too." tatum replies.

----

"so, how's tonight so far, baby?" sodapop asks his girlfriend.

"it's good. i've got you, that's all i need." sandy replies.

"ew, is that tatum?" sandy asks, making sodapop turn around.

"oh, yeah." sodapop replies.

"what's she doing here?" sandy asks.

"i'm not sure. i'll go ask." sodapop says, leaving to go see tatum.

"tate?" sodapop questions, confused.

"oh, hey, soda." tatum smiles.

"what are you doing here?" sodapop asks.

"dally, two-bit, ponyboy, and johnny wanted to see a new shirley temple movie, so i thought i'd tag along because i have nothing better to do... and because i LOVE shirley temple." tatum explains.

"makes sense. are you cold?" sodapop asks the shivering girl in front of him, aka tatum.

"uhh, yeah... dally lit my jumper on fire because he wanted to see how long it would take for my sweater to disintegrate." tatum explains.

"here, have my sweater." sodapop says, handing tatum his sweater.

"are you sure?" tatum asks.

"positive." sodapop replies.

"thank you, soda." tatum smiles.

"anytime. i gotta go back to sandy." sodapop says, quickly hugging tatum before he runs off to join sandy again.

"what did she want?" sandy asks, annoyed that she's seen tatum's face.

"she's with the guys to see a new movie." sodapop answers.

"you gave her your sweater." sandy says.

"it's just polyester." sodapop replies.

"wish i were tatum." sandy mutters quietly, so sodapop wouldn't hear.

a/n

so i would like to address any confusion as you are reading this story.
1) the title of the book was based off the song 'heather' by conan gray, but i have changed it since so that's not really important.
2) i know this book is set in the 60's, just like the movie and original book, but i have made a few tweaks where people like dr phil are mentioned.
3) i know sodapop doesn't really like movies because he gets fidgety, but in this book he watches them just fine.
4) sodapop and tatum are the most ideal friendship, try and change my mind... (you can't).
5) i wrote this story when i was 14 (i'm 18 now), and it's actually so cringe but people seemed to love it?? hence why i'm leaving it up. anyway, so if you have problems with how i wrote it take it up with my 14 year old self.

i also would like to say that i wouldn't be posting as much as i do now if it weren't for @/80s90swriting (it wouldn't let me tag them, oof) because they are literally the reason i have motivation. so thank you so much for being the reason i post. <3