4/22/19-4/24/19

Frank Arnott

It was exactly like it was the same morning stuck in a loop with no escape since two years ago. Frank woke up, cleaned with no urgent desire or need, and prepared breakfast for himself and the cat. Eesa had recently become much older than before. Her gray hairs began to reveal themselves among the dark stripes patterned within her fur. Slinking slowly among the steps, their pace matched the other's filling up the large quiet atmosphere of the house.

He got the milk out of his fridge and shuffled over to the counter. Pouring the milk in the cup of earl grey tea, he watched Eeesa resting. He began to reminisce about the memories he had made with his wife and Eesa. The times they spent cuddling together on rainy days, exercising Eesa with the laser pointer, and many others holding the sounds of laughter, smiles, and love. He picked up a picture frame resting next to the calendar. Sad eyes and a frown met two pairs of twinkling eyes and smiles radiating with happiness. Two pairs of arms: The woman's holding a kitten, and the man's around the woman.

With a sigh, Frank put the picture face down on the marble surface and picked up the carrier. He hobbled over to the European Shorthair, dragging out each step. At first, she hissed, and tried to scratch him, but soon she gave up and allowed herself to be placed down gently. Frank closed the front door and as he did, he watched the mailman finish delivering packages to his neighbors and drive away.

Every day at noon since his daughter had graduated high school, Charles, the mailman, and Frank would have a daily chat. Charles was always a busybody needing to go out and do something with as many people as possible, whereas Frank was more of an in the moment person who enjoyed to do activities with a small group of friends. Sometimes Frank wondered how this man ever became friends with him. Frank found his mind wandering to how long he's known him. five years, or was it six? All he knew for certain was that their friendship had begun when Charles' daughter finished going through his Biology class a few years ago. After Charles had finished delivering the piles and piles of sympathy letters about Sheila's passing for Frank he tended to linger and paid more attention to Eesa. He would always make up excuses like he had no more packages to send, his wife wasn't expecting him until 4:00, and he would tease Frank saying he forgot to bring out the treats for him. Frank always thought this behavior was weird but he lumped it into the category of Charles being Charles. He began to dread the presence of his friend as he kept bringing back letters to memories he kept suppressed for an agonizing five months. Three months ago when they were hanging out on the front porch of his house, Charles went to pet Eesa and instead of purring like she usually did, she hissed and scratched at him. Both men stared at her in silence.

Then Charles spoke up, with obvious hesitation, "You might want to take her to the vet, the only other time I've seen something like this was in the days before my dog had to be put down."

"I'm good."

"You sure? Because I-"

"I'm sure, thanks."

The door slammed shut.

Frank went to the car and opens the passenger door. When was the last time I had Charles over to talk? I can only think of after Sheila passed away.' His mind was still focusing on this question and his mind kept circling back to his wife, 'If she were here she would already have taken care of everything. She would want me to take care of Eesa and be happy, I can't let my own fear get in the way of Eesa's health.'

Making his way around to the driver's side, he adjusted his glasses, made sure Eesa was secure in the car, and finally opened the door. He got in, adjusted the strap of the seatbelt, and placed the keys in the ignition.