5/17/19

Prompt: One day, writing shows up on your hand. You didn't put it there. It's asking for help.

The song blares out of my alarm clock, signaling the beginning of my day. I stretch my hand out fumbling around for the 'annoying noise box', peeling my eyes open when I can't find it. I finally lay my eyes on it and slam the button down silencing the infernal beeping. I force myself into a sitting position and stretch my arms towards the roof. Before I rub the sleep out of my eyes, I blink a few times and bring my hands closer to my face. Freezing, I stare at the back of my hand. Laced among the faded ink  of flowers, there is the word help. I rack my mind to search for possible reasons why these letters have made their mark among my hand. I look at the pleading word again. The ink seems to be much more prominent and recent in comparison to the art that has found a place among my skin. The first thing I think to do is try and wash it off, so I rolled out of bed and walked to the bathroom. I hop into the shower and scrub until my hand is red and the rest of the ink is gone except for 'help'. I have school, so I don't have time to figure out new ways to get rid of it. I put on a long sleeved shirt to cover up the dark writing on my skin and wait until I can cover it up with more art. I grab a banana and muffin from my family's 'stash' on the counter and head to school in my car.

I forget about the mark until math class. I usually get bored and find new ways to fill the canvas of my body with new images each day. My parents hate it so much when I do it. I pull the sleeve up my arm and find the word staring back at me. I am not allowed to use my computer in this class, so I write on my wrist: Find out WHY the word help has suddenly appeared. Then, Mr. Luckerberg calls on me to solve the math problem (Thank God I was able to, he always picks on people who he thinks zoned out). After other explanations of terms and solutions, he handed out the sheet for homework. I look back at my hand to find new marks appearing on my hand underneath my reminder. The lines connect to create letters that form a question: You don't know why? I stare at my hand in shock. My mind goes blank as I try to process what has happened.

I release a sigh of relief and write back: That's good. This barrier won't stop us from learning about each other right?

Right.

So that's cool, I guess I'll talk to you later? I'm in math class right now, so I need to finish up the work we were given. :| See you later!

See you later/write to you later!