Chapter 1: All That Glitters Is (Not) Gold

Cover image/Chapter 1 Image is courtesy of the amazing artist Rosso! They can be found via: https://twitter.com/Rossovieta

Note 2 - 7 - 2024: After much thought and planning, I have rewritten this chapter from start to finish to better reflect the quality of the story. Rearranging certain things while expanding on others, I feel this version of the first chapter of my story gives a much better impression of what's to come. Please enjoy this revision if you have already read the original, and if you are here for the first time, thank you for stopping by! - AJ

- - - - -

Time froze solid and still as the air over the stadium echoed on the final hit. ''Critical' Hit!' showed in bright lettering across the marquees lining the stadium.

It had been almost a half hour, but even with such an extended time for battle, the crowd goes wild as the stats for the Gigantimax'ed Charizard finally, and unequivocally, fell to 0 Health Points. There's an explosion from the last hit occurring as Leon withdraws Charizard back into his Poke Ball. The impossible had finally happened: Galar's Champion had been bested in battle, and a new Champion was crowned in that moment. "My time as Champion is over...But what a champion time it's been! Thank you for the greatest battle ever!" Leon says to the crowd; always knowing how to rile them up at any one point in time.

The trainer that stood opposite of him had done the impossible: defeating Leon. As his name laid bare, flashing on the large jumbotron screens surrounding the stadium, he couldn't help but do a double take. /I did it...?/ He thinks.

This young man was a trainer named Haru. Having not only recently stopped the corrupt Chairman Rose from bringing the apocalypse to Galar through Eternatus's resurrection, he had fought tooth and nail to breathe new life into every Gym of every major city, strengthened the bonds of his closest friends, and now accomplishing the previously thought impossible task of a league win over Leon. Haru had been granted the new status as the Galar Pokemon League Champion. He and his 6 Pokemon would be inducted into the Hall of Fame. A team consisting of a Lucario, Hatterene, Cinderace, Gardevoir, Glaceon, and a Tsareena. It was the best moment in his life at that very moment.

As the purple haired ex-Champion ran over to lift him up on his shoulders, the medium length red head trainer began cackling with laughter at the new rushing high. Tears budded on the edge of his eyes and he threw a fist upwards in victory. /I did it bro, I finally became Champion: just like I promised you.../ Haru thought to himself.

That evening was spent celebrating over a luxurious dinner with every Gym Leader, his friends Hop and Marnie, and his rival, Bede. Eating until he was full in both stomach and soul, his life had hit a new peak.

Thus starting a new age of Haru, the Champion of Galar!

- - - 2 Months Later, in North East Motostoke - - -

Celebrity life was a big shift in routine for Haru. Becoming a Pokemon trainer who accomplished the things he did naturally brought with it some infamy, rumor mongering, fans and dissenters all alike, but becoming Champion heightened all of those problems in great measure. Suddenly his everyday life of seeking out new trainers to fight was now more met with those turning him away than eager beavers. The previous establishment of now Ex-Chairman Rose's company's headquarters was being repurposed as something called the 'Battle Tower', but it wouldn't scratch the same itch that Haru had before.

No constant battling meant Haru would have to find more reasons to fill his time and keep incoming going. Turns out becoming Champion for a region who only knew of Leon for so long brought with it a lot of sponsorship deals, and a nearly never-ending mountain of businesses, publications, podcasters, fan clubs, or executives leaving him emails, text messages, or voice mails. All of them asking for just 'a bit of your time'.