| 9 |

The sympathy, the pity. Those could lead you to tears if you weren't careful.
He held a distant gaze over you, his eyes were searching, reading your emotions like a heartbreaking novel. But he had to put that novel down because he had read it one too many times.

Namjoon kneeled on the floor, collecting the loose pages and gathering the fallen books. The paper crinkled loudly in his hands and the books, he nearly dropped a few times. From other people's eyes, they'd think he was clumsy but now you've been enlightened sadly. A lone droplet landed on the page of an open book he reached for and so he looked up at you from below.

"Thank you but don't cry for us. We have already cried enough for ourselves."

You bent down to help him, piling the sheets neatly on top of each other to be sorted and stacked the books together to be put back.

"Thank you." He sent a smile your way which you couldn't return. It was too sombre of a mood to be able to force your lips to curve. Maybe he could do it but you couldn't.

"Are...all of you cursed?" Despite the hesitance of your question, you already knew and he had already said.

'Us'... 'We'...

It was a silent answer.

The books, journals and other forms of writings were returned into the bookcase with no other words exchanged. You made for the door with the one book in your arms and when about to step out, Namjoon called for you.

"Y/n."

You stopped at the end of the dark doorway though didn't bother to turn around and so waited in the breathless silence. What more could he say?

"My hands won't stop shaking but I'm still a great shot. Think about that sentence if you one day decide to cross us."

Leaving with a threat placed on your life, you closed his door - overwhelmed by different thoughts and emotions. The questions you had were answered only for more to arose. You had to brace yourself against the door, hitting your back and winced when the wound reacted negatively.

You were never scared of the dark and yet here you were - cowering because a dreaded SCREAM ripped through the stillness, echoing throughout the ship. It was shrill and haunting to the core.
No sound followed the scream. You had to assure yourself that it was just your ears misleading you. Because how else were you to continue wandering in the deep night without thinking there were monsters lurking in the shadows? This ship had its mysteries; its mysteries were its men.

Carefully, you felt your way around, squinting in the darkness and eventually found the stairs leading up above and emerged from its doors, greeted by twilight. The sun hadn't yet risen but the promising glow announced itself by the horizon.
Beautiful scenery to emotionally devastate yourself.

You went to lean against the rail, gripping onto the book tightly so it wouldn't accidentally get dropped. We wouldn't want that now, do we?

Quiet steps closed in on you.

Just as you were about to open the book, a warm gust hit your shoulder, announcing its presence with a chill racing through your spine.

"What are you doing lurking around in the dark?" Jungkook loudly whispered then snatched the book from your hands before your instincts told you to smack him in the face with it.

"Give that back!" You spun around and stomped your way to him, chests hitting. An irritating smirk played on his lips and you could see his eyes twinkle in mischief at your expense.

He dangled it in front of you like a carrot on a string before bringing it back to glance at the title. When you went to grab it again, he raised his arm to the sky, the book out of your reach.