Chapter 5

I walked up the steps towards my front porch and turned the key in the lock. The house was cold and empty. I felt so scared and alone, and I considered calling Eleanor back but she'd only distract me from my homework.

I kicked my Adidas trainers off and hauled myself upstairs. I burst into my bedroom and unpacked my bag. I grabbed out my maths book and stared at the homework.

Damn it. We had algebra. I didn't understand why we needed it I mean, it didn't make any sense. It was just letters representing numbers but why do we need to do that when we have numbers? I just stared at the paper, not knowing whether to leave it or not.

In the end I decided that I couldn't be bothered to do it, well not today anyway. I still had until next Friday to do it so it was fine.

I packed the book away and jumped onto my bed. Eleanor text me and told me that she was going to come over and see me. I went downstairs and unlocked the door so that she could get in. I walked into the kitchen to grab us both a mug of hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and marshmallows.

I carefully carried the hot mugs of delicious hot chocolate up the stairs and into my bedroom. I placed them down on my bedside table and waited for Eleanor to arrive.

After a while of worrying, I heard the door open downstairs. I jumped of my bed but then my head thoughts started coming back 'Stop, no it might not be Eleanor. Maybe it's a serial killer.' I tried to ignore it, I knew it wasn't true seeing as I could hear El calling my name downstairs. I took another step forwards, trying to beat the thoughts but they persisted.
'They are probably impersonating her. They're really good like that.' They told me.

Eventually, I heard footsteps coming towards my bedroom. My head was telling me to hide but my gut was telling me to open the door and greet Eleanor with a hug. But I couldn't do either. So instead I just stood there on the spot, frozen in fear.

There was a knock on my bedroom door. It was clearly Eleanor because I heard her talking but I couldn't move.

After a while, Eleanor just opened the door and looked at me. She smiled and hugged me. I slowly moved my arms and hugged her back. I was shaking all over like I was cold, but I wasn't. As a matter of fact I was dripping with sweat. Nervous sweat.

Eleanor instantly knew that something wasn't right and she took me by the hand and firmly pulled me into the bed. She sat down beside me and asked what was wrong. At first I didn't want to speak. But then I realised that my thoughts were just messing with me. Like every time. I told her about how I thought she was a serial killer and how I thought she was going to kidnap me.

Eleanor always handled me well because instead of laughing, like a normal person would, she hugged me tight and told me I was going to be ok. She reassured me that she was just Eleanor. No murderer, no enemy. Just Eleanor. She repeated those lines over and over agin until I felt safe. I cried against her chest whilst she whispered those sweet words to me

A little while later, we put Aladdin on. That film always cheered me up. We were both sat peacefully cuddling each other, when suddenly there was a knock on the door.
'Did you order pizza?' Eleanor asked, concerned and worried
I shook my head. Who would be coming to visit me at midnight?
We decided to ignore the knocking in hope that they person would leave. But they didn't. They kept knocking. I heard the door open. I dug my head right into Eleanors side and shivered.

Then we heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Suddenly all the dreadful thoughts came back to me. This is the real Serial Killer,' my head told me 'Eleanor was just a distraction.'

I pulled away from Eleanor, scared that the thoughts were true. I could hear the footsteps coming and closer to my bedroom. I held my breathe, embracing my fate. When suddenly, the doorknob turned.