Eye Sores

Chapter 20

Angelica made her way to the front door done watching the memory she was currently in. She paused as she thought back to what happened in the kitchen. She wasn't sure now if she could pass through the exit or if she would collide with it if she tried. She had clearly passed through the memory of herself earlier upon entering the house, but she was able to lean on both the fridge and the counter. A little weary of the object Angelica slowly reached out her hand placing it firmly against the wood surface. He hand hadn't passed through it but meet with a solid obstacle. Huffing out a breath she looked it over wondering how she was going to leave. If she opened it would it change the memory making the occupants of the house think it was haunted? She dismissed the thought outright chiding herself for the foolish notion. What she did in her memories didn't affect the outside world. If she opened the door it wouldn't just randomly open in real life. At least she didn't think it would. If that were possible she would enjoy giving her husband a fright or two. The likelihood was improbable which was only a little disappointing.

Clearing her mind of all the useless thoughts she had been entertaining Angelica brought up her next memory. Taking a firm hold of the knob Angelica pulled it open timidly looking beyond it with surprise. Instead of the porch and yard she had half expected to find she found herself looking at the main street in her town. She stepped over the threshold moving from one memory into another. Glancing around she spotted her past self, rushing from shop to shop. She was doing her daily errands of Kevin's dry cleaning, picking up the mail, and shopping for the evening's meal.

Taking her time Angelica glanced about the area trying to see if anyone seemed overly interested in what she was doing. Everyone she saw was either equally as busy or visiting with someone on the sidewalk. As far as Angelica could see no one was paying any particular attention to her as she went about her business. The only ones that had even acknowledged her were the people she herself greeted and waved to. She had hoped to see someone, anyone that stood out but was sorely disappointed when everything was normal. She didn't want to have to keep going through every mundane memory trying to find the one person that would stand out. Never mind that the task seemed utterly dull, but it would take too long to accomplish. Time wasn't something she had an abundance of anymore. She watched as the memory of her vanished into the local supermarket. Not wanting the entire thing to be the bust she feared it would be Angelica rushed across the street carefully avoiding traffic. She didn't want to know what would happen to her if she collided with a moving car.

Shuddering at the thought she rushed through the doors in behind another shopper that had just entered. Rushing through the woman Angelica ran into the building after her memory not wanting to lose sight of her. As she raced past the floral department she noticed that instead of the vibrant display of mixed bouquets all the of the vases were full of nothing but stark white lilies. Her steps faltered as she took in the sight but pushed herself forward knowing she didn't have the time to stand around gawking.

Angelica rushed down the eerily vacant aisles while the noise of dozens of shoppers surrounded her. The disjointed messages she was receiving sent a shiver of unease through her. She picked up the pace wanting to find where she was in the store so the market would right itself. She just couldn't handle the nightmarish version she found herself in much longer. She had almost made it to the pet food aisle when a sound that shook her to her core had her freezing in her tracks. The laughing seemed to echo all around her disorienting her as to where it was coming from. She couldn't mistake the noise, however. She would never forget it as long as she lived. It was the maniacal, gleeful laugh she had heard the very night she had been attacked. Ice traveled though her veins as she realized that he was there. He had been in the store that day. Somewhere inside the supermarket was her killer and unless Angelica had seen him while she had been shopping that day she would be unable to find him.