XIII. Akane/Aoi : Friendzone

A collaboration with: darien_sch666

𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐙𝐎𝐍𝐄
:: 𝗔𝗟𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗡𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗦𝗘

Note: The first part is written by darien, I have continued it hence writing the 2nd part of the story.

-

Dreaming of scraping nails against the window glass, and waking up to still hear itーthe mauve haired maiden gulped, tiny beads of cold sweats trickled down her forehead as her heart accelerated by every passing seconds.

Her hands began to tremble as the scraping turned into knocks. '𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒔𝒆, 𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕? 𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒃𝒆 𝒊𝒇 𝑰 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒔𝒍𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒄𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒐 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒚' she thought, but boy was she wrong, chills went down the maiden's spine when she heard inaudible whispers being uttered by the unknown person. Guessing from it's voiceーit was indeed a male. 

She squinted her eyes and listened, focusing mainly on her auditory. Involuntarily, her body jolted up in the bed when she heard her whole name being called, her head slowly turned around. There, standing behind her window doors was none other than her childhood friend. His unruly amber locks swayed by the gentle breeze and a small smile plastered on his lipsーnot knowing how much he made the lassie terrified.

Upon realizing that it was only akane, the maiden's eyes softened and she exhaled slowly, her pounding heart somehow returning to it's normal pace.

"𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞, 𝐚𝐤𝐚𝐧𝐞-𝐤𝐮𝐧?" her brows scrunched and voice laced with confusion.

"𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤 𝐮𝐩 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐚𝐨-𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧. 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐮𝐭𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐧." He said, his silhouette somewhat covered the breathtaking view of the silver moon behind him.

"𝐎𝐡. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐈'𝐦 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐚𝐤𝐚𝐧𝐞-𝐤𝐮𝐧." The maiden then flashed her perfect set of pearly white teeth to the lad.

"𝐀𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭- 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐨𝐮𝐭.... 𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐭. 𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐲, 𝐈 𝐬𝐚𝐰 𝐚 𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐲 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰, 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐢𝐧. 𝐈 𝐢𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐨 𝐡𝐢𝐦 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲. 𝐍𝐨 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐭, 𝐈'𝐦 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮!" He offered her a genuine smile, reassuring her that no one would be able to hurt her or approach her with malicious intent while he was still alive.

The lassie felt a tingle of dread and fear run down her spine. However, she put on a small smile so the lad wouldn't notice the fear on her face, she knew he would only get worried if he sees her like that. "Thank you for always protecting me, akane-kun."

At that moment, akane was about to go back to his house but stopped and turned to looked at her. "We're.. friends, okay? This is what friends do." His voice was deep as he stared into her mauve orbs.

Aoi stared back into his amber eyes, akane's brow was wrinkled with concern. She desperately wanted him to hold her tight against his broad chest again, feel safe in his arms. Friends or not, that was not an option. She lowered her gaze and sighed.

He knew the lassie so well that he would instantly notice even the slightest change of her facial reaction. So despite her hiding the fact that she was bothered, he still noticed it. He desperately wanted to reach out and touch her, to assure her it would be okay. However, he also knew that would be too much, so he kept his hands stuffed in his pockets.

A moment of silence was heard until the lassie spoke, or rather corrected him "BEST friends". A feeling of deep nostalgic sadness washed through him. He wished he could tell her how he badly wanted to get out of their friend zone. He truly wished she would return his feelings.

He already did everything to gain her favor, but every time he tries, he fails. The flowers didn't work. The hand holding didn't work. The hair thing didn't work. And he can't kiss her because that's just improper behavior not suited for a proper girl like her, he may have loved her a lot but he totally respects the lass. For him, she was just perfect, the epitome of beauty, which is why he's trying his best to live up her expectations and types, but still it wasn't enough.

-

The lad sighed as he stared at her once more, a bright smile upon his facade yet worry was washing over his thoughts at the current. "Actually, may I stay here for a while, just for the night?"

Tangerine orbs scanned the expanse, from the rigid floor, high vault to the thick wooden door winding open and glass window were marks of claws were made. "I don't think it's safe for you to be alone at all. Just in case."

Marks of the sharp nails upon the window made him fret, it was a mere mark of disturbance, a possible outcome of something bizarre. Meant that something may come again and bring harm to his precious friend. And he wanted to make sure of her safety, else he would feel regrets, he would take the blame up until his demise as he could not be able to get this off his heart.

She shot an awkward smile, eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed as if she weren't comfortable of the thought. It felt as if she was disturbed by his presence due to various reasons at times. It may be how clingy he can be, how attached every time, how he'd try so hard for affection, and how he'd even follow her nearly anywhere yet she did indeed feel safe every time he was beside her.

"Are you sure people won't get the wrong idea if they were to know?" A query from her mouth as she looked seriously at him yet her signature smile had not vanish, it seemed from her tone as if she were slightly annoyed. All had felt the need of duty to be done, was to keep her safe from any harm, keep her safe from anything that may bring her vexation though he might also be one who has been giving her disturbance, being a nuisance.

Though it didn't really matter for him what her image of him was inside her mind as he would always love her no matter what. He promised this to himself yet it hurt to keep being friends whilst wanting to grasp and trying so hard to win her heart.

Other people's opinion didn't matter either, only herself mattered to him to the utmost; placing her even above himself and his needs. Therefore he didn't care if people went ahead and spread gossips and false rumors around him, wrong ideas didn't matter. He was decided and dedicated to protect her til his end, after all.

"Such ideas do not make a big deal, if there were to get those, then they are simply lying and creating fake scenarios inside their mind, Ao-san."

She felt awkward of his statement, she felt as if it were unsafe to do so. Curiosity in her thoughts as to why he would suddenly ask this question, take a stroll around the expanse when it was the dark of night where one had almost tried to enter her home. "Why would you suddenly think that?"

All she received was an awkward laugh, "Well.."

"Maybe it could get the occurrence off your mind, the moon is well lit tonight too."

-

The lad sighed as he stared at her once more, a bright smile upon his facade yet worry was washing over his thoughts at the current. "Actually, may I stay here for a while, just for the night?"

Tangerine orbs scanned the expanse, from the rigid floor, high vault to the thick wooden door winding open and glass window were marks of claws were made. "I don't think it's safe for you to be alone at all. Just in case."

Marks of the sharp nails upon the window made him fret, it was a mere mark of disturbance, a possible outcome of something bizarre. Meant that something may come again and bring harm to his precious friend. And he wanted to make sure of her safety, else he would feel regrets, he would take the blame up until his demise as he could not be able to get this off his heart.

She shot an awkward smile, eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed as if she weren't comfortable of the thought. It felt as if she was disturbed by his presence due to various reasons at times. It may be how clingy he can be, how attached every time, how he'd try so hard for affection, and how he'd even follow her nearly anywhere yet she did indeed feel safe every time he was beside her.

"Are you sure people won't get the wrong idea if they were to know?" A query from her mouth as she looked seriously at him yet her signature smile had not vanish, it seemed from her tone as if she were slightly annoyed. All had felt the need of duty to be done, was to keep her safe from any harm, keep her safe from anything that may bring her vexation though he might also be one who has been giving her disturbance, being a nuisance.

Though it didn't really matter for him what her image of him was inside her mind as he would always love her no matter what. He promised this to himself yet it hurt to keep being friends whilst wanting to grasp and trying so hard to win her heart.

Other people's opinion didn't matter either, only herself mattered to him to the utmost; placing her even above himself and his needs. Therefore he didn't care if people went ahead and spread gossips and false rumors around him, wrong ideas didn't matter. He was decided and dedicated to protect her til his end, after all.

"Such ideas do not make a big deal, if there were to get those, then they are simply lying and creating fake scenarios inside their mind."

"Only your safety is my concern, Ao-san."

Her smile didn't waver, though she felt that she was still bothered. As if she didn't want her around this time, and simply politely declining his presence and existence at the said time. "We're only best friends, Akane-kun. Such rumors would end up in a ruined reputation."

All left to do for him was to sigh in defeat due to her angelic smile though of course, he would like to watch her from afar. "Sure, anything for you, Ao-san. But please do keep yourself safe, he might come back."

-

Walking to a nearby tree, no thoughts of sleep, no desire of rest. He ended up watching the maiden's home from a safe distance, one where he could see the entrance and the window which was scraped. He looked like a personal guard yet he was doing this to his own accord, putting her safety above all else even his health.

Yet she would never accept the person he is, she could not think of him as anything close to a romantic interest even if he were to try and be the ideal guy she'd want, one she'd always dream of to be in her life. Perhaps he wasn't capable, perhaps her eyes were set on someone else from the start and he was only unaware that she'd fallen deeply into the grasp of someone who was not he.

-

He might never know as he drifted off to sleep, succumbed to the tiredness as his eyes fluttered to close.

-

It was around 3 am that scraping of nails against her window caught her attention once more, thinking it may just be the person she was waiting for, opening the door silently as it made a slight creak. Her smile wide as he closed eyes spoke softness, leaning onto the back of the door as she waved her hand at the silhouette standing in front of her door. "Welcome back! You shocked me just a while ago, Lemon-kun."

Perhaps Akane lacked something, something he missed over the details of the guy she'd want to be with til her eternity that he was replaced- or never even had a place inside Ao's heart.

"I've forgotten that it was your signal that I became scared. Here, I made you an early breakfast too."

-

Only one statement explained everything, one she muttered under her breath as the bright full moon illuminated the place. "Hmm, it's not that bad to fall in love with a werewolf, right?"

Her one and only true love was not the one who did everything for her, he was just a friend. 

-