NINE

Every afternoon after class became very busy for almost all of the students in HAHS.

It's still 2 months before the festival but all clubs are treating it like it will be happening any time soon.

I am really, really serious about this performance. We are not the last performers, but still, we wanted to make an impact.

"I asked the members as you have said and these are the song choices we come up with," Eunice showed me the list she's been filling since yesterday.

I read each. Mostly love songs.

I looked at the fourteen students sitting on the floor in front of me. Some are talking with each other, while a few are checking their phones.

I stood and cleared my throat. "Excuse me. Everyone--"

They looked at me.

"Thank you for the song choices that you have shared. But since we can only pick up three---"

"Only three?" A sophomore boy said, "so not all of us are going to perform?"

"Yes. We got a limit of--"

"What?"
"I was excited for no reason!"
"I want to sing on stage."
"I don't want to--"

"Silence!" I said loudly. They looked at me with obvious resentment. "As much as I want for everyone to perform--"

A girl spoke to her friend, "My sister's in Idle. I heard they will all perform."

That made my blood boil. "Idle got fifteen minute allowance for the performance! We only have five--"

"It's because Idle is good, right?" A guy said.

"No but--"

He stood, "I was invited by Soyeon Lee, you know. But I don't want to dance that's why I am here."

I sighed. "Will you all listen to me first--"

A few stood up, "What are we going to do here? We're wasting our time."

"Yeah, if only you will perform," a freshman said, pointing to me and Eunice.

They went to the door.

"We don't even have chairs here," I heard someone whispered.

Three students were left. They are the ones who are the most reserved members, one of them was a guy whom I rarely hear speak or interact with the other members.

"The meeting is cancelled. You may go home now, I will notify you of the next one," I said as sat back in my chair. They three went out quietly.

Eunice sighed, "What shall we do, Rose?"

"Let's think about it... At home. Shall we go?" I stood again and took my bag. My head is hurting.

"Okay. I'll look for some ideas on the internet," Eunice said.

"Thank you."

When we got out, I was surprised to see Van by the doorway. He waved at me.

"Well? I gotta go." Eunice pushed me jokingly and walked away.

"Eunice wait--"

"Is everything okay?" Van looked at me as if he's scanning my face. I looked away. "You seem to have a problem."

"No, I'm fine really." I smiled.

"I don't think so. Your smile is different," he took my bag. "Let me carry this."

"No--"

"Just relax, okay?" He laughed. "Why are you so tensed?"

"I am not!"