We Drive to A New Boarding School

The eight hour car ride was the least of our troubles. The monster trying to kill my best friends, that was more on top of the list.

     Sally picked up Annabeth and Thalia and drove us all to Maine, where Grover was waiting. There wasn't much talking on our part, being aware of impending doom and all, but Sally seemed to have come prepared. She told us all Percy's embarrassing baby stories, each one making Percy sink lower in his seat.

     The snow fell hard against the windshield as Thalia wiped the window's fog, getting a better look at our destination.

     "Oh yeah," she declared. "This'll be fun."

     She scooted back a little so Annabeth and I could see.

     As if we weren't already nervous, Westover Hall's midnight walls were anything but welcoming. It was built like a medieval castle, pitch black except for the oaken double doors. It contrasted strongly with the snowy atmosphere.

     "Are you sure you don't want me to wait?" Sally asked.

     "No thanks, Mom," Percy said. "I don't know how long it'll take. We'll be okay."

     Sally didn't look any less worried. "But how will you all get back? I'm worried, Percy."

     "It's okay, Ms. Jackson," Annabeth smiled at her. "We'll keep him out of trouble."

     Sally's shoulders relaxed a little. She trusted Annabeth to take care of the whole group. Annabeth stepped out of the car.

     "All right, dears," Sally said. "Do you have everything you need?"

     "Yes, Ms. Jackson," Thalia said., following Annabeth out. "Thanks for the ride."

      That left just me and Percy in the car.

     "Extra sweaters?" Sally asked. "You have my cell phone number."

     "Mom-" Percy started.

     "Your ambrosia and nectar, Percy? And a golden drachma in case you need to contact  camp?"

     "Mom, seriously! We'll be fine. Come on, Cas."

      Sally looked sad but she knew we had to go. I reached over from the back seat and gave her a hug.

     "Please be safe, dear," She told me.

     "I'll try."

     She was hesitant to let go, but eventually she did.

     I had enjoyed my months at casa de Jackson. She cared for me as if I was her own daughter. She had even hung up a picture in the living room of Percy teaching me how to skate. I understood it was hard for her to let us go on dangerous quests, but some part of her reminded her that we couldn't be normal kids. We had to go on life threatening missions. The most she could do was give us a ride to them.

      I stepped out of the car and into the intense cold. Sally had made sure Percy and I had at least three layers on each, so I didn't feel the cold. My friends were shivering and I remembered why I didn't mind the weather. Stupid curse.

      I hadn't found out who inflicted the curse upon me, or how to control it. Some weekends I would go up to Annabeth and Thalia's school to hang out with them, even though that's all we had done in the summer at camp.

    Annabeth had suggested that Khione, the snow goddess, could have cursed me, but she didn't really have motive, so we weren't completely sure. All three of us tried to get it under control, but that didn't work out too well either. Thalia and Annabeth's room was snowing inside for days.

     As we walked up to the castle, Thalia said, "Your mom is so cool, Percy."

     "She's pretty okay," Percy shrugged. "What about you? You ever get in touch with your mom?"

      I pinched him in the arm hard. He jumped, "Ow."

     Bringing up Thalia's mom was a touchy subject, one she didn't like to talk about and hated getting asked about.

     If that was any of your business, Percy-" Thalia began.

    "We'd better get inside," Annabeth interrupted. "Grover will be waiting."

     "You're right," Thalia said. "I wonder what he found here that made him send the distress call?"

      We looked up at the dark tower looming above us.

     "Nothing good."