21. White knight

They reached skull rock soon after they had left. Now standing before the opening which clearly had some sort of magic shield in front of it. Wendy had asked about the body on top of skull rock and the blood that was slowly dripping down, but Loki dismissed her question. He needed to focus and thinking about the corpse wasn't going to help.

He tried putting his hand through the portal and was met with enormous pain and quickly concluded that that was not an option. Running out of time the two tried looking for other entrances but to no fail. There was one high up, but it had the same translucent shield around it.

'So how do you remove your own shadow?' Loki asked, looking at the out of breath Wendy who was standing next to him. 

'I don't know, just try something magic-y.' Wendy answered between sharp breaths

'Uhm... Okay.' Loki said slowly, bending down towards his own shadow on the ground. He touched it, not really sure what it would do.

'Can't we wait till nightfall, then our shadow will be gone anyway and to be honest, you don't look so good.' Wendy suggested and Loki looked at her with an eyebrow raised. He was pretty tired, but if they would stop now Peter would surely come and kill them both.

'No, there is no time.' Loki said, burning his hand in the sand trying to grab his shadow in some way. Wendy sat down if a huff and looked up at the beginning evening sky.

-----------------

20 minutes earlier

Wendy sat watching the ants just outside of her cage transport a pack leaves. She had melted into the scenery, the animals weren't even scared of her anymore. She even had a few ones who would just sit a while away and stare at her. It was nice, even if they were just animals.

'Wendy? Are you even listening to me?'

Wendy's shot back to look at the demonic boy crouching in front of her.

'Do you understand what I want?' Peter said, his voice firm and sharp.

'Yes...' Wendy slowly said, wanting to stand up to Peter, to be brave, but couldn't find the words.

'You sound doubtful, do you not understand what is at stake here? The entire island could die. Just make sure Loki tries to absorb the energy from the hourglass and then all will be fine.'

'Why me? You have a thousand lost boys, you don't need me.'

'Oh but I do. You seem Loki doesn't trust anyone, except Simion and you. Simion is his source of bravery, but he won't be around for much longer.' Wendy cringed at the wicked smile that appeared on Peter's lips when he said that. This really was all a game to him. 'But you, you are the pinnacle of innocence. He will trust you, you will make sure he does.'

'What if I say no? What if I don't let you win?'

Wendy felt a surge of adrenaline go through her, she wanted to be truly innocent, not just pretend to be. Her hope for something good disappeared when she saw the growing smirk on Peter's face.

'If, you say no.' He says, standing up, clearly enjoying every second. 'Your brothers won't live much longer.'

'You said you let them go!' Wendy yelled, tears forming in her eyes. She had come to neverland with her brothers a long time ago. She was caged and her brothers brainwashed. Peter had promised her that he would let them go and live their life on earth if she stayed with him.

'Oh I did, I am a boy of my word. But, it will be just as easy to slice their throats from there than it is here. I will kill them if you don't do what I say.' He said grabbing her face with his hand and digging his nails in so deep he drew blood. She screamed, but Peter was gone as quickly as he came. She didn't want to be the villain in this story