One

The window to his bedroom was slammed open with a gust of wind. Unable to collect himself in time, Wooyoung immediately fell out of bed, the floorboards reverberating with the force. The sounds of slamming windows and breaking glass had always worried him, the sound enough to trigger his fight or flight response.

"Ow." He muttered, rubbing his sore tailbone and checking the time. He was an hour early for school. Which was perfect, because it took time to look this fabulous. The shower water burned his skin slightly, and he rubbed his favourite rose scented shampoo into his hair. Scrolling on social media before he put his makeup on he saw Seonghwa's little countdown timer for moving in with the Jung family. Seonghwa was like Wooyoung's older brother, and had been adopted before Wooyoung was even born.

Can't wait bro Wooyoung commented, adding a smiley face for good measure. He wasn't quite bothered with makeup that day, only putting on eyeliner and neutral lipstick. Once the makeup was on, and his hair was neatly curled so it became wavy, Wooyoung got his school uniform ready.

"Kiddo, you up?" His mother gently opened his bedroom door, making sure he was ready. "Now I know you aren't... keen on this idea. But I think we need to move forward." She grabbed his face.

"Without dad?"

"For now. He also isn't happy moving to a town like this." She didn't sound too sure about her words.

"A town where we have to coexist with those bloodsucking freaks." Wooyoung grumbled.

"Hey, I will have none of that young man. If you don't treat your classmates with respect this will not end well for you." She said, sending him a hard glare before leaving the room. Gathering his schoolbooks in his bag, Wooyoung made his way downstairs, skipped out on breakfast, and walked to Yunho's.

His best friend was a lot more enthusiastic to be moving here.

Yunho wanted to get away from all the killing and live like a normal teenager.

"You excited for today Wooyoung!" Yunho slung an arm around Wooyoung's shoulders.

"God no."

"I'm excited too!" Yunho blatantly ignored Wooyoung. Yunho had this sort of joy that infectiously clung to those around him. In no time Wooyoung was smiling and joking with Yunho as per usual. Yet they entered the gates and suddenly that happy mood fell away.

"God I hate it already." Wooyoung sighed. The people had white uniforms, while the vampires had crimson. It was garish and honestly rather tasteless.

"Wooyoung lighten up." Yunho had an air of seriousness to his tone.

"There are so many of those damn bloodsuckers." Wooyoung sneered, only to get smacked by Yunho.

"Do not talk like that here. Ya see all those prejudices you have? Leave them at home." Yunho gave Wooyoung a pointed stare, before rambling like his usual self. Then Wooyoung spotted someone out of the corner of his eye.

His hair was raven black, with a random patch of blonde at the front. His red uniform, along with his hair, contrasted his pale complexion.

Their eyes met.

More emotions than could be counted suddenly flashed across the boy's crimson-flared eyes. Wooyoung waved slightly, not sure what to do about the strange vampire who was still just staring at him. Then his gaze eventually settled into one of panic. There was a large puff of smoke, and the boy vanished.

"What the fuck..." Wooyoung muttered, mind so occupied by the strange vampire boy that he barely noticed the school bell ring. He and Yunho rushed to the office, where they were given time tables.

"Just head to class, it's not worth going to home room." The old woman at the office desk smiled kindly at them, going back to her solitaire game.

"Lemme see your time table!" Yunho snatched the paper from Wooyoung's hands as they walked. "Damn. We don't have that many classes together. Only... interspecies study and self defence."

"Gimme that back." Wooyoung snatched his timetable away, glancing down at his first class. "Maths? Are you kidding me?"

"This is your classroom. See you at lunch." Yunho gave Wooyoung a fist bump before rushing down the hall. Wooyoung took a deep breath, knocking on the door.

He was immediately greeted by his teacher's cold crimson eyes.

"New student? Come in." The man stood aside, allowing Wooyoung to enter. There was a strange glint to the teacher's eyes, something akin to amusement. "My names Choi Minho, but call me Mr.Choi. Please introduce yourself."

"Hi. I'm Jung Wooyoung and I just moved here. Nice to meet you." Wooyoung scanned the classroom.

And locked eyes with strange vampire boy.

The guy looked even more panicked than he was earlier, desperately glancing around like he was searching for an escape. Wooyoung didn't understand the fear, but thought it was rather funny. So he sauntered down the aisle between the desks, sitting in the one next to strange vampire boy.

"Hey." Wooyoung muttered while Mr.Choi went back to writing equations on the board. The boy beside him panicked, trying to hide behind his textbook.

But he just smacked himself in the head with it.

The class had been silent, and everyone turned to the vampire. He dipped his head in embarrassment, conflicting emotions making him seem strange.

Wooyoung felt kind of bad for making the boy injure himself inadvertently. "Are you alright?" He muttered while looking the vampire in the eye. There were once again a complete tidal wave of emotions trapped in those darkly sparkling eyes.

Then a onyx tinted tear carved down the boy's cheek.

And another.

And another.

And then the boy was sobbing beside him. Each one made a strange feeling swell within Wooyoung's body, and the indescribable desire to hug the boy almost took control over his body. The loud clang of a chair falling drew Wooyoung from his thoughts, and the vampire was sprinting out the door before he could react.

"San! Come back!" Mr.Choi glanced to the class, then to the door. "Occupy yourselves for a few minutes while I check on my brother."

Wooyoung was left questioning what exactly he'd done.

"San." He muttered, the name familiar on his tongue. It made no sense to him, none of this situation did. But he couldn't exactly ask anyone, or really question it in any way. The bell for lunch rang before the teacher returned, so they all just packed up and left.

But Wooyoung couldn't stop thinking about the strange vampire, and why he seemed to know him without ever meeting him.