Chapter 1

Chapter 1

-Atheena's POV

          I stood at the top of the watch tower looking down at the village. At least most of our fighters called it a watch-tower. I simply called it the old treehouse. Me, my Older sister and our Father, the Chief, had built it at the top of the tallest tree that looked out over the village. Its at the corner of the village so it also has a great view of the dirt road that leads into the village. The treehouse is so big, it even has a second story carefully and purposefully concealed by branches and leaves. But from the inside offers a perfect view of above the treeline. Able to see for miles around. Making it perfect for spotting smoke signals made by anyone who may have gotten lost or injured in the woods. Despite most of the village knowing these woods like the back of their hand. We would still get the occasional child running off and getting lost or falling in the river and getting dragged down stream.

          Father originally planned to build it just for me and Analee's enjoyment! But like most things it soon turned into a lesson to teach us about being better leaders for the village. Analee and I ended up designing the entire thing to be a stealthy, functional, and very efficient watch-tower. It even has a zipline leading to another watch-tower a little ways deeper in the woods.

          Evidently we did such a great job that after only 6 months Father soon turned it into another lesson. This one was about sacrifice and doing what's best for the village. We soon had to give up our treehouse for our soldiers to use as a watch-tower. Analee being the level headed one, seemed okay with it. But I on the other hand fought and argued with Father to try and keep it! Telling him that it was not just for me and my sister but also for the rest of the kids in the village. My nine year old self used that argument in Hopes that he might see me as a fellow leader, fighting for the good of my people, and give in to my demands. It did not work.

          But little did I know we would be back in that fantastically well designed treehouse only a few short years later. Being taught to put those leadership skills, Father had so militantly instilled in us, to good use.

          Nowadays we mostly use the treehouse in case of rogue werewolf attacks. Most rogues were peaceful. Wanting nothing more than shelter, food, or more commonly the famed healing potions of my people, the Fey. However others want to cause trouble or take our land for themselves. Our fighters can usually handle a handful of them at a time. If there are more than that we may have to resort to using magic or tricks on them. Then if we still can't handle them, we would have to involve some of our more powerful allies, like the neighboring packs. Even if the rogues are peaceful however we usually do not let them stick around for long.

          Associating with rogues makes it hard to keep a good relationship with the more established packs and we needed to keep a good relationship with them. We are a tiny Fey village and the only one of our kind within 1000s of miles of this place. We are nothing, compared to any one of the local surroundings packs and if a war ever were to break out between us. My home and our people would most certainly be destroyed. The only reason we have such a good and peaceful relationship with the wolf packs, is because of our rare healing abilities and the potent medicines and potions that we create and then trade. This makes our people's survival very Important to the packs!

          Werewolf packs also helped to keep curious humans from wandering across our border onto our land. When the Fey comes in contact with most leaves and plants, we get leaf looking tattoos that grow across our bodies, even on our faces. This also happens when we are upset or distressed and when we use our powers and healing abilities! Other than that our Fey bodies themselves could pass for human. However we definitely dress and act differently.