Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Atheena's POV

Once we were finished eating Alpha Benjamin escorted me out of the small dining room. He led me down the hall and up a wide wooden staircase. It seemed to go up forever. On each floor the staircase opened up to an average sized lounge area with couches and tables and chairs. Many of them also had electronics and things I recognized as TVs.

There was a lounge area on every floor. Some larger than others and many of them looked different from each other. Some of them had board games sitting on tables, ready to be used. Some were filled with multiple TVs and electronics. Some were covered in shelves with books, I made a mental note to go back to that one. On every floor across the rooms I could see a hallway, I assumed that's where all the so called 'Dens' were. The building was massive and every floor seemed to be beautiful and unique in its own way. But despite they're beauty, there was definitely something wrong.

"Where are all the people?" I stopped walking to stare at another lounge area, with nobody lounging. Alpha Benjamin stopped walking up the stairs and stared between me and the empty room in front me.

"They are all either working or in their dens." He answered grimly. He continued when I gave him another questioning look. "I ordered most of the pack to remain in their homes until we get a better handle on this virus. If they are out here in the common areas, there is more chance of people getting infected."

"Wow, how many people has this virus infected?" I asked as we both turned back to the stairs and started heading up.

"Somewhere in the upper 70s. I haven't got the exact numbers since we arrived this morning." He replied sounding a bit upset. He cleared his throat, before changing the subject. "The top floor in the building is for the Alpha and his family alone. No one else lives up there. So ever since I took over for my Father and my family moved out, it's been just me."

"Really? When I went to Alpha William's pack he mentioned that the Alpha, beta, and Gamma family's all lived on the same floor. He also said it would be the same for most packs?" I questioned, as we arrived at the end of the staircase. At the top stood a guard who silently bowed to his Alpha, before going back to standing there motionless. This lounge area was beautiful with many paintings covering the walls, bookshelves filled with books and a couple of tables with different types of games on them.

"Yeah, we used to be the same way. But my Father changed it when I was a kid." Alpha Benjamin answered, while stopping to turn and look at me. "We had a close call where some rogues actually managed to get into the pack house! Luckily nobody died... except for the rogues... but my dad who was Alpha at the time, decided to move the Beta and Gamma family's elsewhere. That way we are not all in one place, where we can be taken out all at once."

He seemed nervous explaining how the rogues had been killed. But really I understood completely. They had gotten into the pack house and could've done serious damage. I would have killed first, asked questions later too! "I understand. It's a good plan."

"Yes, I agree. Although it makes things pretty boring up here." He replied turning to head towards the hallway across the room. The hallway was pretty long and had three sets of doors. The first 2 we passed by and I assumed they were where the Beta and Gamma family's used to live. I wondered what the apartments were used for now?

At the last set of doors there was a guard on either side of the doors and on the wall above the doors was a gold plaque that said 'Luna's Den'. Once we reached them Alpha fumbled around for a moment looking for his keys and I just stared up at the plaque.

"The Luna's den?" I questioned, as Alpha Benjamin pulled out his keys. He stopped to look at me and then up at the plaque. He gave me a nod and a questioning look that showed me he didn't understand what I meant. "Why not the Alpha's den?"