Chapter 2

"We're here," my mother's voice cuts through the dream that I was having. My father and I were dancing on the porch. He was leading while I stood on his toes, like I had done when I was younger. He was singing to me, louder than the radio, as we twirled around. We were laughing and smiling. It was just the two of us.

"Rebecca," she says more sternly, using my full name. This time, stretching back behind her to shake my leg gently. I must have dozed off at some point after watching countless mountains pass by out of the window. A whirlwind of colors rushed past. Orange, yellow, and red, a few patches of green were still desperately holding on. It looked almost like an oil painting that was still wet, glistening in the sunlight.

My air pods had managed to slip out of my ears and were lying nestled between my thighs. The soft music still streaming from them as I fumble to turn them off.

I attempt to stretch with what little space I have. It wouldn't have been bad if April hadn't pushed her seat all the way back.

It's a workout to maneuver my arm around her seat to open the door. The fresh air feels so good against my skin as I climb out. Being out of that car makes my mood better.

My jaw drops while spinning in circles, taking in my new surroundings. This place is enormous. Nothing like I had imagined it would be. Even the brochures I received in the mail couldn't do this place justice.

I knew it would be big, but I never would have imagined it being this massive.

Six main buildings hold various classes and other activities. They're all made of the same greyish-white stones. Each one stands at least five stories high. Rows of windows line the front of each building.

Several big, thick elm trees line the paved sidewalks in front of each structure. The majority of their leaves have already fallen, scattered all along the ground.

The surrounding pavement is cracked in several places. The cracks in the concrete reveal the tree's massive roots. Which over time have forcefully pushed their way up through the sidewalk.

Beautiful clusters of pink and red rose bushes are in full bloom beneath the bottom rows of windows. Patches of small white lilies are scattered around throughout the bushes. Each embedded in a giant bed of reddish-brown mulch.

A group of wooden picnic tables are set up across the yard. Large red and white beach umbrellas keep them protected from the sun.

A group of students are seated at them. Their books propped open, most of them appear to be reading deeply from its contents. Quite engaged in whatever it is that they're reading. Others appear to be casually flipping through pages, passing the time.

The side of the campus we're parked on contains the main buildings. The student dorms are across from us on the other side of the giant structures.

From what I have heard, and read in the brochures, this place is its own little community. Stores and little cafes line the nearby streets. They all appear to be within walking distance, which is great for me. Since I currently do not have my own vehicle.

We're parked next to an enormous group of flags from all around the world. Each one towering over us. They're completely enclosed within a giant circle of cement benches.

An immense bronze statue of an Army General is positioned in the middle of the flags. He's knelt down on one knee, his left arm at his side. The right one raised in a salute motion against his forehead.

This is one of Mom's little secrets. She always tries to park next to something easy to remember. That way, she doesn't look foolish searching for her car in a crowd. Or like the people who set off their car alarms. Which in turn gives everyone near them mini panic attacks in an effort to locate their vehicles.