Chapter 12

Yuta stared at the girl's side profile as she concentrated on manifesting her energy to control her spirit, yet it was obvious that she was struggling.

He probably shouldn't have but Yuta couldn't help but use his powers to overhear Miyeon's conversation with Taeil. He just knew Miyeon would be too curious and Taeil always gave her the answers, even when he wasn't supposed to.

But now, the group had settled in a new camp for the night, this time in the open, with no cave to protect them. Fortunately, their tents were made for the freezing weather, providing them with enough warmth, along with the fire that Haechan had easily started with his powers.

Now that dinner was over though, it meant that Yuta was back to training Miyeon, a task that he was starting to question whether it was the right move or not. In a couple of days, they would be at the Davern palace and if Miyeon didn't master it by then, she never would. There was simply too much to do once they got there.

Miyeon's eyes opened and she let out a deep sigh, clearly frustrated. "Yuta, it's not working."

"Try harder." Yuta told her, crossing his arms but Miyeon just shot him a glare.

"Why are we still doing this when there's another way?" Miyeon asked. That was the last question Yuta wanted to hear.

"Just keep working on it." Yuta said, turning around so that his back was towards her. Without even looking, he already knew that Miyeon wasn't doing what he told her to.

"This is just wasting both our time. Taeil said-"

"I don't care what Taeil said!" Yuta yelled, his voice echoing through the mountains.

He turned to see a look of terror on Miyeon's face, clearly surprised by his sudden exclamation.

Was I too harsh?

Miyeon looked away and Yuta could see her gulp.

"Miyeon, I didn't mean to yell." Yuta said, this time a lot softer. As Miyeon looked back at him, he could see the hurt expression in her eyes.

"I'm honestly just really frustrated. I want to play my part and help you too, no just be some vulnerable princess." Miyeon told him.

Yuta stepped forward, closing the distance between the two. "I know. I can see how hard you're trying." Yuta told her.

"Then why isn't it working?" Miyeon asked, clearly exhausted from all her efforts.

I don't know.

Yuta closed his eyes taking a deep breath to calm himself. As he opened them again, he saw Miyeon staring back at him.

"Okay, let's try this." Yuta said reaching out and removing Miyeon's leather gloves, one by one, placing them in his pocket. He then took each of her hands in his.

"Try what?" Miyeon asked, staring at the way Yuta's hands were around hers.

"The second method. The one Taeil mentioned." Yuta told her. Adjusted his feet, planting them in the snow.

"Why are you acting like that?" Miyeon suddenly asked.

"Like what?" Yuta asked back.

"You seem tense. And concerned. What are you not telling me?" Miyeon continued.

Smart girl.

Yuta looked into Miyeon's eyes, staring deeply into them.

"This method is much more painful that the first one."

...

Yuta's hands were warm. The touch between them sent sparks flying through Miyeon's entire body, something she had never felt before.