Forty Five

So I was about to post two chapters like I have promised but I merged them in this once chapter, this is like 2000 words. Enjoy!

Dead? My heart stops for a brief moment as I replay dad's words in my head, maybe I heard wrong.

"What... W-What did you just say?" I say, with shaking breath.

"We don't know for sure, yet." Axel says and I look up at him, and that's when I realize how blurry my vision has become due to the amount of tears I refuse letting go of.

"H-How, w-why do you think he's dead?" I say and my voice breaks, finally letting the tears stream down my face.

My dad places his hand on my shoulder and guides me to the living room. My eyes quickly focus on the TV. Its loud volume catches my attention. '...Terrible private jet crash, face cannot be recognised due to injuries, but all we know about this mysterious man is that he's fully tattooed. The scene is still under investigation...'

"Stone left an hour ago. He was going to Spain, he had business there. He's not answering his phone, neither is his pilot. And they're not letting anybody through." dad says and my heart stops again. Spain? And he wasn't going to tell me? "The jet exploded the second it got off the ground."

Now my tears are streaming harder than ever. "C-Could that be really him?" I say through sniffles and dad hugs me tight.

"We can't know, not until they recognize the body."

"No! We can know! I'm leaving." I say before catching the scene location from the TV and running outside the house. I won't just stay here and wait for them to recognize the body. I can recognize it myself. I know every inch of his tattoos by heart, I can know if that's him or not. And I'm hoping its not him.

After thirty minutes, which felt like thirty hours, I finally arrive to the scene or crime, legs shaking as I exit the car, and I almost cannot breathe. My heart is beating so fast as tears roll down my face.

Ambulances and fire trucks are everywhere. I can already spot a few of Stone's security guards around. I rush towards the two paramedics pulling a dead body, covered with a black plastic bag, into the ambulance.

"S-Stop!" I shout only to realize my voice is gone. "S-Stop, please!" I say as loud as I can as I run towards the two paramedics.

"Excuse me, ma'am, you're not supposed to be here!" One of them shouts as he stands between me and the gurney.

"I... I think I can recognize the body." I say and wipe my tears with the back of my hands.

Both the paramedics look at each other before one of them nods and they pull down on the bag to reveal the face. "This is not the pilot, this is the passenger." one of them says. I force myself to look at the face, but its so hard when there's no face at all. Its as if the head has exploded. I put my hand over my mouth to stop myself from vomiting.

"C-Can I see his body, please?" I say and they lower the bag even more. His whole upper body is exposed to me, revealing the cuts and blood covering him. My eyes quickly move to the neck, but there's barely any skin left. I look down at his arms and...

And I let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding.

More tears roll down my face. I'm crying so hard now, I fall to the ground. "Ma'am, whats this person's name?" one of the paramedics asks.

"I... I don't know, I'm sorry, I thought he was someone else." I say. All of our memories together flashed before my eyes.

One of them helps me to my feet before wrapping the body and stashing it into the ambulance.