Chapter 18

Yudhisthir looked at Arjun and blinked. Once, twice, thrice. No. Not an ounce of humour. His younger brother was serious.

Yudhisthir was at his chambers with Devika when Arjun came and took him outside saying he had something urgent to talk about. Yudhisthir was worried thinking what could possibly be so urgent that Arjun was here leaving Draupadi alone at their first night.

He thought Arjun was joking when he asked what he should say to Draupadi. But no. His brother, the mighty archer, the prankster of them was actually asking for Yudhisthirs' guidance on how to talk to his wife on their first night.

Yudhisthir opened his mouth and closed again. What the hell could he say? As the eldest, it was his duty to give guidance to his brothers. But was he also supposed to guide his brother on how to talk to his wife? On their first night?

He looked at Arjun. He could understand his brothers' condition. Arjun had always focused on only archery. The brothers had never gotten close to any girl apart from Drisana whom they considered a sister. Well, four of them did. With Devika it had been different as they all felt protective of her. Even conversation with Dussala, their cousin sister, had been limited to a few words.

Nakul could guide him better probably. But Arjun would rather release his own arrows on himself than talk to Nakul.
A suspicion rose in Yudhisthir. It had been a whole two days since Arjun met Draupadi.

"Have you not talked to Draupadi since the swayamvar?" Yudhisthir asked cautiously. Arjun shaked his head confirming his suspicion.
"Not even once?" Arjun again shaked his head.

"Draupadi is now your wife Arjun. She deserves love, care and affection from you. It is your responsibility that you always respect her and protect her honour. From now on she's going to look up to you at every situation and need. And she should be assured that her husband is someone she can talk to without hesitation. So, before being her husband, you've to be her friend. And friends talk from hearts." Yudhisthir advised.

Arjun nodded understanding him and started towards his chambers where Draupadi awaited him.

After Krishna told them about Drisana's identity, all were worried for her. But they left her alone for sometime as per Krishnas' suggestion.

Nakul and Drisana sat at the garden until sunset. Drisana sobbed as Nakul held her. After her sobs died down, they came back. Kunti was instantly beside her, asking her if she was all right. All the Pandavs were there, looking worried for her. She assured them she was alright. Kunti gently taking her face in her hands said,

"Putri, in this world, we're known by those who we're related to. But we define ourselves with our deeds. Through your deeds you've earned your place in our hearts. And you'll always be there." Kunti kissed her forehead and released her then.

Later Kunti made her eat by her hand. The Pandavs, Krishna and Balaram with their amusing banter made the environment light. Teasing of Arjun again started. After dinner, some rituals were followed. Drisana and Devika then took Draupadi to make her ready for her first night. As Draupadi was left at Arjun's room, Arjun visited the hallway to his chambers several times. But he was hesitating to enter, not knowing what to do, he thought it best to seek advise of the man he always looked up to.

As he was again in front of his chambers after his talk with Yudhisthir, he encouraged himself saying he could talk to diplomats, make strategies for war, hold his own at conversations with Kings, how hard it could be to talk to a woman who was his wife. Not hard at all, right? He could probably take another walk at the palace garden. It wouldn't hurt. No. Even the guards and dasis were looking at him weirdly. Taking a deep breath, he entered.