Chapter 12: Allies

I wake up and it's still dark. So I'm guessing I got like 2 hours of sleep. I sit there staring out at the top of the trees. I look to the right and see smoke. That's a recipe for disaster. I hear a scream and then a cannon. I sit there doubting myself. I think about what life was like in the capital and the gift that Caleb gave me. Then I remembered the gift from the Capitol, the pin with the burning tree.
Out of the blue I smell smoke. I look back and there are trees on fire. I grab my water bottle and the knife and swung the rope over my shoulder. I quickly climb down and run as fast as I can. I keep running until I fall I try to get up but my foot is stuck. I keep yanking on it but it won't budge. Then a girl with a knife starts running towards me. My heart is racing and I feel the heat and I know I'm going to die. The girl falls on her knees in front of me and starts to cut the root that my foot is caught in. I'm so surprised that she is saving me. She heaps my hand and starts running and I start running too.
We keep running until she stops and says "Follow me" She takes me into a cave and we follow it to a little camp cite type looking thing.
"You hungry" she says in a mad sort off voice
"Yeah " I say still confused
"Eat those berries on that rock" she demands
"Are they poisoned?" I ask
" Yes" she says as she rolls her eyes "I risked my life to safe you just so I can bring you here to poison you"
I smile as I take a berry.
"Speaking of you saving me why did you save me" I ask
"She looks down and hesitates. Then she says "I need an alliance if I'm going to survive and I was out looking for food, then I saw you and I figured that you wouldn't kill me because I saved you life."
"That makes sense" I say "Have any water?"
"No just that dirty pond over there" she points to a small little hole.
"I can clean it." I say I put all but one of my tablets in there then mix it around and then It cleaned it's self.
"Wow that was cool" she says
"So what's your name?" I ask
"Fawn" she says "district 10"
"I'm Kaitlynn district 9" I say.
"Oh" she says "do you have any skills" she asks with a smile
"Knife throwing and climbing" I say
"Cool I'm good at bow and arrow cutting with knifes." she says
"Thank you for saving me" I say
"It was nothing " she says
We take turns sleeping. I keep first watch. I hear the sound of the anthem so I go out of the cave to see who died. The girl from district 3 and the boy from district 10. I decide not to tell Fawn that the guy from her district died.
I keep watch until it gets harder and harder to keep my eyes open. I wake up Fawn and ask her to watch. She yawns and nods her head. I lay down and quickly does off.