A Shocking Revelation

(OOOOOHHHHH PLOT TWIST YOU THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE ANOTHER ORDINARY LOSER HUMAN IN THIS STORY WELL YES BUT ACTUALLY NOOOOOOO)

  The only thought on Nagito's mind was 'I got to contact headquarters and report a ghoul.'

   Pulling his cell phone out of his pocket as he locked the door to Hajime's room, he mentally slapped himself.

   'Fool! What kind of ghoul investigator goes out with a ghoul thinking he's just some human!? What kind of idiot goes out without a weapon?!'

   "Oi, Komaeda, I just wanna talk!" Hajime continued to call from the other side of the door.

'He's definitely gonna kill me now that I know, such is the nature of savage creatures like ghouls. I can't fight him without my weapon. What should I do...?"

"Komaeda, please!" Hajime continues to shout, pounding away at the door.

Komaeda ignores him; instead opting to mess around with his cell phone.

'Dammit, there's no reception here! What am I supposed to do now?!'

"I'm not gonna hurt you if that's what you're wondering..." Hajime sighed.

Nagito shoves his phone back in his pocket, trying to come up with a plan. Hajime sounded like he had nothing but innocent intentions; he hadn't attempted to attack him last night when he was so vulnerable after all...but, such is the common deception of a ghoul.

   "If you don't come out, I'm knocking down the door. I have no problems damaging my own property." Hinata warns.

   Nagito quickly weigh his options. Do nothing and Hinata busts down the door or open the door and face him with a brave face. He would end up seeing Hajime either way so, much like Hajime did last night, he decided on option number two.

   Nagito slowly walks over to the door, unlocks it and carefully opens it to come face to face with the concerned ghoul.

   He notes that Hajime seemed to have cleaned himself up on the way to the bedroom, no traces of his meal on or around him. Even his eyes had returned to their greenish-tannish colour.

   "Hinata-kun, forgive me, it was rude for me to barricade myself in your room like that after you were so kind to me last night." He mumbles, discreetly checking his phone to see if he had service yet.

   Hajime shrugged in response. "I mean, it's not like your actions weren't justified. Any human in their right mind would be shocked and horrified after seeing something so unsightly." He replies, trying his best to sound casual.

   "While I'm on the subject thank you for caring for me last night and welcoming me into your home."

   Hajime clenched his teeth, annoyed. Was this guy a complete idiot?! Could he not see that Hajime had only done that for a quick easy meal?! How dense could one motherfucker be?!

   "Oh, uh, it was no problem." He replies awkwardly, scratching at the back of his neck absentmindedly.

   Nagito stole another glance at his phone. Aha, service finally! Now he could contact HQ and have Hajime taken care of!

   ...But...

   He noticed how Hinata watched him worriedly, carefully gauging his reactions to every word he spoke. This was a considerate and kind ghoul, something Nagito didn't even know could exist! It would be a shame to destroy something so curious and hopeful.

   However, no. This was a killer, a cannibalistic killer, someone Nagito in good conscious could not let off the hook.

   Hajime sighs. "Look, I'm not...a bad guy. Probably. Ya know....well..." He struggled with the right words to say. Komaeda is a good guy...

   Komaeda's eyes narrow. "You say you're not a bad guy yet you kill and eat people, hm?" 

   Hinata's eyes widen. Where in the hell did that aggression come from?! 

   "I don't kill-"

   "Oh really? Then why'd you take me out so suddenly? If not to have some food." He challenges. 

   Hinata feels like he's drowning. What to say, how to explain...

   "Please, listen to me, Komaeda-kun. Yes, that was the original intention. My shipment of food had been delayed and before you asked, no they weren't killed by ghouls either these are people who volunteer their bodies to feed ghouls when they die (I don't want Hinata and his frens to be bad guys so lets pretend this is plausible) so I don't need to kill anyone. I was a desperate idiot so yes, that was the plan. But I couldn't in good conscious do it. That should be obvious, please!" 

   Hajime squeezed his eyes shut as he concluded his speech, anxiously awaiting his response. 

   Nagito took a moment to take in the desperate ghoul standing in front of him. He had a point, he had a multitude of opportunities to kill him, that had to say something, right? He tucks his phone back into his pocket.

   This couldn't just be some trick, right? No one could act this good...

   He lays a hand on Hinata's shoulder. Hajime slowly opens his eyes to look at the human. They stare at each other in silence for a moment before Komaeda finally speaks.

   "Ah, what kind of a trashy, weak ghoul investigator am I to not report a ghoul right in front of me?" He sighs.

   'He's a dove? Man, I'm so bad at picking targets...'

   "Well, Mr. ghoul investigator, what kind of ghoul doesn't go after a vulnerable human." Hajime chuckles darkly. Komaeda doesn't react.

   "Okay, I'm not gonna turn you in just yet, but this doesn't mean I trust you! I'm gonna keep a close, watchful eye on you and the moment you step out of line, you're dead, understand, Hinata-kun?" Komaeda threatens, eyes shinning.

   Hajime sighs. That's fair. But still, why is this dove showing him mercy?!

   "I understand. Thank you, Komaeda."