Bittersweet

(Final chapter. I'll do a quick Author's Note after this)

   (Uh should we fight the doves Hajime's head uh do whatever you want I'm super dead!)

   NAGITO POV

   I carefully rest Hajime's sagging head onto the ground below. I carefully fold his hands over his chest. He's got...such a peaceful expression on his face. Is death really as tranquil as they say? 

   Ah well...I hope he's found peace. I've got to be happy for him, right? He's probably in Heaven swimming in...I don't know a pool of grape juice. 

   But...I can't be happy. My partner is dead. Before I could even tell him how much I loved and cared for him. He's gone now...I'll never get to see him again. I'll never get to speak to him again, I'll never hear his voice. Never again will I see him smile, never again will he call my name. 

    I collapse on top of his body, shoulders convulsing with each sob. Oh my Atua...I can feel the warmth leaving his body. He really is dead, isn't he?

   "Hajime..." I cry, burying my head in his chest.

   Damn all the investigators. I can't believe I was ever one of them...This is unforgivable. I'm gonna slaughter all of them for what they did for us.

   My head shoots up. 

   I'll kill them all. There's no time to mourn when there's vengeance to be taken. I'll cry for him later.

   "Ha...Haa..."

   Laughter is bubbling up in my chest....strange....

   I brush his hair away from his face. "Hajime, I'm sorry but I got to go. I'll come back. I'll kill them all...I'll make sure they all suffer...I'll kill Shuichi with my own two hands!" I laugh. There's no response from him. He's dead after all. 

   I spring to my feet. Yes...I'll slaughter them all! This is going to be so much fun!

   I take off in a mad sprint, laughing like a maniac!

==============================================================================

   Yes, just as I've suspected a battle is commencing! The innocent group of ghouls battling against the ferocious ghoul investigators! One hope against the other! Who's hope will win in the end?!

   I'll ensure the ghouls win. They'll all paY FOR WHAT THEY DID TO MY HAJIME!

   I lunge, ready to dive into the thick of it but before I can someone grabs my hoodie and drags me around the corner into a dark alley. I'm dumped on the floor and I look up into the red and black eyes of my captor.

   "Chiaki..." I mutter. She sighs as she crouches down in front of him.

   "What the hell are you doing charging into battle without a weapon, Nagito?!" She demands. 

   "Vengeance!" I snarl.

   "Vengeance? For what?" She asks softly. 

   "They killed Hajime! So I'm going to kill them all! Ahaha..." I explain with a slightly crazed tone; at least to the outside observer.

   "Hajime got killed off? Man, this author sure is sadistic." She groans. I sniff.

   "Did you just break the fourth wall?"

   "What are you talking about Hajime just died and we're in the middle of a battle this is no time to break the fourth wall!"

   "There's always time to break the fourth wall!" 

   "Alright, fine! I was breaking the fourth wall!"

   Chiaki sighs, regaining her composure. "It's unfortunate about Hajime...but you can't charge into the thick of things defenseless! Here." 

   She presses something cool and metal, a gun into my hands.

   "Thank you." I say.

   "Come back when you need more amo. This is my task after all." She tells me. I nod curtly.

   "Thank you."

   "Stay safe."

   "You too."

   She gives me a quick peck on the cheek and I turn, exiting the alley. I run towards the battle, into the side where the ghouls are defending. 

   Bullets are flying, quinques are being wielded with amazing precision, and kagune is flexing and attacking beautifully. It's incredible.

   I take aim and fire into the crowd, keeping an eye out for my former friend, Hajime's murderer. "Show yourself, Saihara!" I scream. (I'm sorry you turned out to be the bad guy Shumai I love you sm) 

   And then time seems to slow down as Saihara emerges from the crowd of investigators. He pulls his gun out of it's holster, (deciding not to use quinque against me I guess), raises it, aiming at my chest. 

   "Oh look, it's the traitor." He scoffs.

   "Oh look, it's the murderer." I spit back.

   I take my aim at Saihara and fire. I miss horribly...damn, what awful luck!

   "You call that a shot?" He mocks, "I don't get how you ever got hired! This is a real shot."

   Before I can dodge he fires. He hits me right between the ribs and in the middle of my chest. I fall back, landing on my back. 

   "Goodbye, Komaeda."

   Saihara disappears. 

   My vision is going blurry...haha....

   Suddenly, out of the haze a misty brown-haired figure emerges. They come to a stop right next to me, and crouch over my body.

   "Hajime...?" I croak. The smile gently and nod. "I thought you died..."

   "I did," He replies, "I came back for you."

   "...Back for me, huh? So I'm dying?"

   "I'm afraid so. I saw you were dying and I figured we could leave for the next life together."

   I relax my muscles. "...huh. Well, I guess there's nothing I can do about it then." I sigh. He smiles at me, extending a hand. 

   "Well, let's go."

   "Yeah." I agree, taking his hand. I feel something heavy roll off my shoulders as Hajime pulls me off the ground. I turn around and look down at my deceased body. "Wow..." I comment emptily. 

   Hajime gently touches my head and turns it back to look into his eyes. "Don't dwell on it, okay?" He murmurs. I shrug helplessly. 

   "Everyone is going to be sad you're gone." I whisper.

   "They're going to miss you too, Nagito," He responds softly, "but there's nothing we can do about it anymore. We need to get going."

   I swallow and nod firmly. "Right."

   I retake his hand and we start walking.

   The End

I be doing an author's note on the next page. Hope you liked the story.