Agony

(Sorry for only writing two chapters yesterday my depression hit me like a bus)

   HAJIME POV

   "Woah!" I shriek, narrowly avoiding the edge of Saihara's quinque.

   "Hurry up and die!" He snarls, launching himself at me. 

    "Saihara, please, can't we just talk?!" I plead.

   "I don't talk with criminal killers!"

   Damn, I guess all ghoul investigators are just this stubborn. 

   "Hajime! Shuichi!" Someone suddenly shouts. We both turn at the sound of the voice. There is Nagito, doubled over, trying to catch his breath. When in the hell did he get here?! And why?! "Stop-!"

   "Get...out of here!" I pant. 

   But it would turn out my fatal mistake was letting my guard down in front of the enemy.

   Something is shoved through my body and suddenly my abdomen is on fire! A big bout of rosy-coloured blood shoots out of my mouth, eyes widened in shock. 

   "Hajime!" Someone yells but it barely registers with me. The voice sounds nice yet so far away.

   I hear two different sets of footsteps, one pair getting closer on pair getting further. I start falling, hurdling towards the unforgiving ground below.

   A white-haired boy lunges to catch me but fails as my head smacks against the concrete. 

   "Hajime!" Someone shrieks as I shut my eyes, suddenly feeling very sleepy...

===========================================================================

  NAGITO POV

   Hajime's been hit! Stabbed! Impaled!

   I'm at his side in an instant, falling to my knees by his side. 

   "Hang in there, Hajime..."

   I've got to call for help, right? I need to stop the bleeding, or...

   I poke at his side, trying to get him to show any signs of life. 

"Hajime..? Ha...ha...get up silly... our friends need our help..."

The greenish-tannish eyes I've grown to love and admire so much flutter open weakly, too weakly for comfort. 

"Nagito," He croaks, "I'm sorry...you have to witness this..."

"Nothing bad is happening. Everything is okay. You're gonna be fine. Hang in there, I'll call for help and..."

I trail off, realizing any efforts on my part would be worthless in the end. Hajime is about to die, but at least he won't die alone. The least I can do is make sure he's comfortable in his final moments.

"Hey Nagito..?"

"Um-hmm?"

"Can you sing to me...until I fall asleep?" He asks softly.

   I cradle his head with the utmost care, trying my hardest to ignore the rush of blood seeping out of his abdomen. As much as I hate to admit it, I know it's too late to help him now.

" Of course, lovely Hajime. Did you have a song in mind, or..?"

He shuts his eyes with a small smile on his face. "Anything...will be fine..."
   I take a deep breath and begin to sing a song I know he really loves. I don't waste time; knowing full well he has only moments left.

My voice is a low murmur before increasing in the part I believe is the most important to us right now...

  "I would hold you in my arms
   I would take the pain away
Th-Thank you for all you've done..."

  I can't help it, tears begin to stream down my face.
   No! NO! I DON'T WANT TO LOSE HIM! NOT HIM! NOT HAJIME!

     "F-Forgive all your mistakes
       There's nothing I wouldn't do
       To hear your voice again..."

   His pulse slows down drastically as each breath he draws is more shallow than the last.
   Hajime....no...please don't leave me....I'm lost without you...!

   With a final thump of his heart his body lays heavy in my arms.

   I tilt back my head and let out a horrific wail.

   (Song is 'Hurt' by Christina Aguilera. I thought it would be fitting...)