Everything Goes Wrong

(Isn't that a cheerful title)

 HAJIME POV

   "Did you have a place in mind?" I ask casually as we walk hand in hand down the street. His hand feels all hot and sweaty. Is he nervous? That's...kind of cute.

   "Anywhere is fine!" He responds quickly, nearly squeaking. I squeeze his hand. 

   "Are you nervous, Komaeda?" I ask point-blank. He stiffens. 

   "Course not!" He replies, so-clearly lying. 

   "You've been on a date before, right?" I question carefully. We're both silent for a moment before he slowly shakes his head. "Oh. Well, that's alright," I grin, "I'll guide you." 

   I release his hand and link my arm through his free one, the other carrying his suitcase. "I know a really good place." 

   I listen to him take a few deep breathes as I start guiding him towards my favourite coffeehouse. "You're alright." I assure him softly. 

   My phone buzzes in my pocket and I stop walking. Komaeda turns to me with a curious look. "I've just got to take this quick." I explain, pulling out my cell. He nods back, understanding. 

   I step away from him, putting the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

   "Hajime, it's Fuyuhiko. Can you come down here quick?"

   I frown. "What? Where are you?" I demand. 

   "The Spot. We got a situation. Can you just get down here, please?" He groans. I glance over at Komaeda who has fascinated himself with a butterfly. 

   "Is it an emergency?"

   "Obviously! Get your hairy-ass down here, now!"

   And without another word he hangs up. I sigh. "Komaeda, we need to make a quick detour." I call. His brow furrows.

   "Is it serious?"

   "Apparently." 

================================================================================

   "I've never seen this place before." Komaeda comments as we approach the old, rundown building. I sigh. 

   "It's 'cause it's a disgusting place. But we like it." I reply, knocking on the door. The door flies open abruptly, grabbing my shirt and pulling me inside. I'm barely able to grab Komaeda and string him along with me. 

   "Koizumi!" I exclaim, looking up to meet the eyes of the person who pulled me inside.

   "It's about damn time, Unreliable Hajime!"

   "Unreliable Hajime...?" Komaeda mutters behind us. 

   "What's going on here, Koizumi, we're kind of in the middle of something here." I grumble. She leans close to me.

   "Some guys over there did something bad. Can you take care of it? No-you're going to take care of it!" She orders. 

   "Yeah, sure, whatever." I mumble, walking towards the back where a bunch of dudes were huddling around a table, Komaeda following close behind. "Something smells good." I muse. 

   I push through the crowd to get a good look at what was on the table, and let out a gasp. Two human men, bound and handcuffed, looking terrified as hell. They're bleeding, already  All the ghouls surrounding them look like they're about to eat. 

   "WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!" I shout, eyes naturally reddening at the delicious smell. 

   "We're just about to have some food. Care to join us, Hinata?" The redhead offers with a smirk. I hesitate, turning to look at Komaeda.

   He's horrified, backing away. My ghoul side showing isn't helping either. "Komaeda..." I start to say but he isn't listening to me anymore.

   Instead he turns hell and runs away. "Komaeda, wait!" I scream after him but he doesn't falter. I turn back to the others, steaming mad.

   "You fools! What the hell are you thinking?! This is not how we live! Release them right now and pray he doesn't come after you all because guess what?! That's a ghoul investigator! Thanks to you all, we've lost his trust and now we're all probably going to be killed because of it!" I scream at them. 

   "Hinata-" Someone starts to say but I cut the bastard off. 

   "Take care of this. Now." I hiss. 

   I turn away sharply. I've got to find Komaeda. This is a huge misunderstanding. 

   I burst out of there, onto the street. I inhale sharply, trying to catch his scent. I find it and start sprinting down the street. I've got to find him before he can contact any other investigator.

   I hesitate near an alley, the scent is stronger here. I jog to the end of the alley and there is Komaeda at the end of the alley, expression dark. 

   I open my mouth to call out to him but before I can he starts speaking.

   "I trusted you." 

   "There's no need not to trust me, it's all a misunderstanding, I-"

   "You said you were good. I believed you. I spared you. It was clearly a mistake."

   He starts advancing, drawing his quinque.

   "You're all reported. You're all going to die. Starting with you, Hajime."

   "I don't want to fight, please hear me out, Komaeda-"

   He raises his weapon. "Goodbye, Hajime Hinata."