Going Hungry

ANOTHER HECKING FANART WHAT THE HECK YOU'RE ALL MAKING ME CRY. THIS HECKING DOPE ART WAS DONE BY MAKIIMIKI ON INSTAGRAM!

================================================================================

   NAGITO POV

   We've been here a few days already. Our daily routine consists of waking up, eating the remaining rations, planning our next moves, and going back to sleep. Food is incredibly scarce as everyone refuses to hunt because it goes against their morals. Some brave ghouls have given up their share so the others could have more. That includes Hajime, which is incredibly stupid as he was already starving before we left the ward.

   He's been distancing himself from me; scared that if he gets too close he'll attack me. It's incredibly kind, he doesn't want to risk hurting me, but I miss him. 

   I've been hanging out with Nanami in our free time. We've been bonding and she's a really kind person. She's been taking messages back and forth between me and Hajime. She says he misses me and hopes to see me soon. I asked Chiaki to make him eat but he keeps insisting the others need it more than him and he can manage.

   Everyone's all skin and bones but Hajime and the other abstainers are the worse of them all. No, Hajime has been abstaining for far longer than any of them. He needs to eat, that stubborn fucker! 

   "He's going to be alright. Everything is going to be fine." Nanami says softly, snapping me out of my thoughts. She seems to be able to sense whenever I'm worrying about my partner. 

   "I know," I sigh, "but I still can't help but worry." 

   "I can go check on him, if you want." She offers.

   "Really? That'd be great, thank you Nanami!" 

================================================================================

   NO ONE'S POV

   The peach-haired girl waves goodbye to her taller friend before exiting the room. She can't help but feel an aggressive twinge of guilt, lying to Nagito about Hajime's well-being. He was in a far-worse state, nearly fully-controlled by his hunger but his last ounce of humanity refused to eat. 

   She walks down the hall and knocks softly on the door Hajime was put in. All she got was an angry growl in response.

   She gently opens the door and there in the middle of the floor, is a chained-up Hajime, eyes blazing with reds and blacks. 

   "If you're trying to feed me, get out of here," He wheezes, "the others deserve it more."

   She carefully kneels down beside him and reaches out to stroke his hair. "I know you insist others deserve your shares," She begins, "but you should be able to see in what a horrible condition you're in. You've demanded you be chained up so you didn't try anything. Please, don't be a hero and take your share. We don't know when we'll get fresh food again."

   "This is my fault..," The brunet chokes out, "so I deserve to suffer."

   "It's no one's fault, Hajime. You're delirious and you need to eat, now!"

================================================================================

   While the long-time friends were arguing their fluffy-haired friend was preparing for bed. He lays out his sleeping bag and climbs in, head racing. 

   Worry for the future. Worry for Hajime. Guilt for causing this mess in the first place. Guilt for the reason Hajime is starving himself. 

   He turns over on his side, squeezing his eyes shut; drifting off into a dreamless sleep. 

   He couldn't have been asleep for more than a few hours before he was awaken by a blinding, horrific pain in his arm. 

   Why? Let's back up a few minutes and take a quite peek into Hajime's perspective.

===============================================================================

   HAJIME POV

   I can't ta-take this anymore..! I-I-I'm losing control-! 

   My sanity is slipping away, I won't be able to last any longer..!!!

   Something....a little ways away....smells good.....really good...

   In a flash, I'm on my feet, the ropes that bound my hands and feet snapping easily. I let out a low growl, trying to deduce where the intoxicating smell is coming from. 

   It's outside the room....down the hall...yeah....

   In a flash, I'm out of the room and practically sprinting down the hall. I've got to find that delicious aroma...

    The place it's coming from...here!

   I kick down the door. There, there's my food!

   The fluffy top, the pale enticing skin, the heavenly sweet sweet aroma...it's like a special treat...a special treat just for me..!

   I lunge but hesitate...isn't this Nagito..? He's my friend and my partner....that's right...he's my partner so I have to eat him!

   I lurch forward and land messily on top of him, effectively pinning him to the floor. I grab his arm, inhaling deeply as I lift it to my lips. I bite down harshly as the delicious flavor fills my mouth.

   I hear screaming coming from underneath me but I couldn't care less.

   Whoever this is underneath me, dies now.