Chapter 17: Finding Maya?

Maya POV

   "We need to make a decision." I announced. "You've been to the bathroom, haven't you?" Lucas shuddered.

The bathroom was a sobfest. Apparently, it was 'breakup Monday."

  "I don't care what happens. Farkle and I have let this go on too long. It's 'cause your pain is hilarious to us. But we're not gonna lose each other over this." Zay said. "What if someone gets hurt?" Riley asked. "Oh, somebody's getting hurt. But I've been saying all along, if you guys aren't gonna be honest with each other, everybody gets hurt." Farkle said.

  We were in art class. One of the only classes I was good at besides Spanish. Riley was talking to the teacher about me.
  "Art is her thing. Take a look at that." She said pointing to my painting. "Yeah. That is not who you are. I mean, what is that, splotches? You threw some paint on there, did you? What is this supposed to be, I wonder?" Our teacher asked.
  "I painted what I'm feeling. What's wrong with that?" "What's wrong with it is I don't know what you're trying to say. What are you trying to say?" "I don't know..." It was true.

  "I think you do. What are you trying to say? Why'd you deviate from the assignment?" "I... I didn't mean to." I stuttered.
  "Of course she meant to. Maya does what Maya wants because she's a true artist." Riley defended me.

  "Why'd you pick that bench? What are your influences, Ms. Hart? Why are you the way you are?" "When I look at this picture, this is what comes out. I'm sorry you don't like it." I said and I hung my head in shame.
   "Who are your influences?" "What do you mean?" I asked. "Artists have influences. Sometimes those influences can help them to discover their own unique voice. And sometimes those influences turn you into a copycat. Because you'll never be a true artist unless you're true to yourself. So, who are you?"
  "Maybe, I don't know who I am yet." "Well, you're gonna need to know if you want to succeed in this class, understood?" I nodded.
"I can't tell from this. Because of that, I'm not gonna give it a grade right now. I'm gonna call it... incomplete. 'Cause that's what this says about you." My teacher told me.

  I was crushed, I had never been told that my artwork was bad.

*****

School, was over and we were in the Bay window.

   "What just happened in art?" "Forget that. We need to figure out this Lucas thing." "Forget that, we need to figure out this Maya thing." Riley said,  "The guy went after who you are."

  "Do you think it should just be us who decides about Lucas?" I asked. "Why do you keep on changing the subject?" "Because I think that Lucas should decide too. I think it should be all of us." I said. I just really didn't want to consider the fact that I had lost myself.

  "I'm going to take Lucas." Riley announced, "What are you gonna do about it? I liked him first, he's my boyfriend, and I don't think that you should have anything to do with him. What are you gonna do about that?"
  I felt so bad, "Now that I've heard you say it, do you think I've been selfish? I don't want you to think of me like that." I explained. "I think of you as somebody who would never let me say what I'm saying to you! I think of you as somebody who would fight for what she believed in. Even me. Especially fight me. Maya, if you like Lucas, then you're gonna have to take him from me." Riley pleaded. "You'd let me?" "No, I wouldn't! You know why? Because you taught me that. You taught me that. Maya. Where are you?"

Shauna's POV

   "How am I supposed to choose between two people I care about?" Lucas asked at Topangas.' "You have to." Farkle said.
  "I know who I'd choose." Zay announced. "Who would you choose?" I asked Zay, hoping to get a reaction from Lucas. "Riley. I like Riley. I'd choose Riley and I'd be happy with Riley."
  "You would?" Lucas asked. "Yes. Decision over, it's Riley. Or... I'd choose Maya. Yeah, I like Maya. I'd choose Maya and I'd be happy with Maya." "Okay, what's going on?" Lucas questioned.