Chapter 19: I Do

Shauna's POV

"They're getting married!" I squealed to Maya and Riley. I was so excited. My biological father was getting married to my best friends mom! This was the best thing ever! "I'll believe it when I see it." Maya stated.

  "Maya Penelope Hunter!" "No, still Maya Hart." Maya responded. "Once Uncle Shawn marries your mother, it's like we're gonna be related." Riley gushed, "We're already like sisters, and then we're gonna be like cousins! That... that's less. What happened?"
  "Yeah Maya! We're going to be step-sisters," I told her, "Isn't that amazing?"

"Riley, Shauna, you know how I feel about hope, okay? Please don't get my hopes up for this wedding." "Hope is not for suckers anymore, Maya." "Hope has finally come around to be for you." Riley and I said. "Well, I'd like to believe that, but you turned me back into me, and me knows better."
  "Hey, happily ever after is happening, so get your fairytale butt out of the dungeon and into the sunlight." Riley commanded and I just laughed.

A knock sounded on the door and Shawn walked in, "Hi, girls." He greeted us. "The wedding's off. I knew it... I mean 'hi..."

  "She's scared." I explained when I saw Shawn's confused face

Maya turned to Cory, "You're his best friend, Matthews. You know he ain't going through with it." "Maya, we are planning the wedding." Shawn insisted.
"We want you to help. This is happening." "Prove it."

Maya's mom walked in. "Katy!" Shawn greeted her with a kiss. "Hey. What's up, Kiddo?" Katy asked, when she noticed Maya's concerned face.
  "Maya's scared that the wedding's gonna come apart like... come apart like... What is something that has come apart?" Riley asked. "All of their previous relationships."

"Maya, Shawn and I are blessed to have found each other." Her mom assured her, "No one's going anywhere." "How can you be sure?"
  "Come on, Maya. Your mom and I are perfect for each other." Shawn said, and I smiled, "I've always known how to get out of anything, Maya. The only thing that holds me here is her."
"Ah-hem." I coughed, getting Shawn and Katy's attention. "Oh other than you guys too." He joked.

"Something good is happening for me?" Maya wondered.
"We got a wedding to plan, Maya." Shawn said, "You gonna be a part of it?"

*****

   We were sitting in Topanga's and Maya was worrying again. "Why would someone who had something go so unbelievably wrong want to do it all over again?" "She loves Shawn." I told her. "She loved my father." "Well, Shawn isn't like your father."
"What if my father wasn't like my father until he met my mother? What if my mother has some sort of, like, nut gene that in combination with any man at all makes him go from 'I do' to 'What I do?' "Well, I think that the hope is that Shawn is not just any man at all." I said.

  "I want him in my life forever." Maya admitted, "And my experience is that getting married kills that real good." "Well, that's not what happens in my experience." I said, referring to my Mom and step-dad.
"Maya, as your friend, I want you to have more." Riley added.
  "You heard her. she has a lovely life now, and you know what the difference is between this time and last time?" "What?" "I'm here to stop anything that could change that." Maya announced and rushed out of Topnaga's.

Shawn's POV

Maya came into the Matthews' apartment and slammed the door behind her. A knock sounded at the door.

  "Who is it?" "Riley Matthews. And Shauna!"
"I'm doing this myself, okay? I don't need your stupid optimism. I only want reality." Maya insisted.