Chapter 31: What's Done is Done

Zay POV

  I was strolling through Central Park when I heard sobbing coming from somewhere in front of me. I located the sound and saw a blonde girl curled into a ball, sobbing her eyes out. Cautiously I approached her, hoping that I wouldn't startle her too much. "Hey are you Okay?" I asked the crying blonde gently. She shook her head and sniffed, finally looking up at me.

  I instantly recognized those crystal eyes and my heart broke for her. "Maya?" I crouched down beside her and wrapped my arms around her in a comforting hug, "What happened?"

  She said nothing for a while, not being able to stop her cries, as she shook in my arms. I held her and whispered comforting things to her as I rubbed her back, hoping she would calm down soon. I wasn't really great with emotional stuff.

  "He hates me Zay," Maya whispered through her tears. "Who does?" I asked. She just shook her head and continued to cry.

  After a few seconds I pulled away and held her at arm's length. "Maya, no one could ever hate you. You're amazing, and one of the strongest people I know. Please tell me what happened."
  She hiccuped and took a shaky breath, "L-Lucas broke up w-with me," she choked out, as the tears continued to fall down her swollen face, "And I-it's all m-my fa-fault." I shook my head at her and pulled her back into my embrace, "It's not your fault Maya, I promise it's not your fault."

  She pushed away from me and wiped her face with the back of her hand, "You don't even know what I did. How can you say it's not my fault?" "Because I know you. You wouldn't never do anything to purposely hurt or jeopardize your relationship with Lucas. You waited years to be with him, you love him Maya." A few more tears fell down her face, "You still don't know what I did." I sighed and readjusted my position, "Okay, then what happened?" I asked, hoping I could reassure her after she told her tale.

  "I-I kissed Josh," she whispered as the tears began to flow freely again. I shook my head in disbelief, "What?" "I didn't mean to, it just h-happened," she sobbed, "I never wanted to hurt Lucas! Please don't hate me Zay, I can't lose you too."

  I grabbed her hand, "Maya I could never hate you, but there has to be more to the story. What happened, why did you kiss Josh?" Maya took the hem of her shirt and wiped her eyes, "H-he kissed me first." I nodded in understanding, "And you kissed him back?"
"No! No I would never do that. I pushed him away as soon as I realized what had happened." I crinkled my brow in confusion, "Then why did you say you kissed him?"

She sighed and collapsed back into my arms, "I don't know!" she cried, "I guess because our lips were still on each other's, Maybe because I took a couple seconds to process what was happening. I don't even know if I did kiss back or not, I don't think I did, but I was so in shock I don't even know!"

   I lifted her head and stroked her hair away from her face, "Maya this isn't your fault. Josh came on to you. I'm sure if you just explain that to Lucas he'll understand." She shook her head, "It's too late. He told me I wasn't loyal, he told me he couldn't be with me anymore. It's fine Zay, I knew things would come crashing down soon enough."

  She wiped away her tears one last time and stood up, while I followed suit, "I had a good four months with him, and I'll treasure that, but all good things come to end and I just have to accept that." She forced a smile that didn't reach her eyes, "Anyways, thanks for being here for me Zay I really appreciate it. But I've gotta get home now. I'll see you at school," she waved and briskly walked out of the park while I stared dumbfounded after her.

  As soon as I got home my phone buzzed. I fished it out of my pocket and saw it was from Lucas.

Luke ⚾️🐏: Hey bro I just broke up with Maya. She cheated on me.

Me: Yeah I know, I happened to run into her at the park...

Luke ⚾️🐏: Okay. Well what did she say?

Me: She said she didn't mean for it to happen. She feels terrible bro.

Luke ⚾️🐏: Yeah well she should. She's the one who kissed that douchebag.

Me: Maybe you should talk to her. Give her a chance to explain.

Luke ⚾️🐏: Explain what? That she's gonna leave me for some random college student?

Me: no bro, she doesn't like Josh like that.

Luke ⚾️🐏: ha! Real funny bro. You were there when they made their little "long game" pact. Obviously she likes him, I was just the next best thing 😒

Me: that's not it at all.

Luke ⚾️🐏: Why are you defending her? You're my best friend and she just broke my heart. How can you possibly be defending her!?

Me: Because I talked with her, I know the truth.

Luke ⚾️🐏: Bullshit! I know the truth too. She cheated on me with Josh. There's nothing more to it.

Me: Okay whatever you say bro. I still think you should talk to her.

Luke ⚾️🐏: yeah whatever you're no help 😒

Me: Bye Bro

Luke ⚾️🐏: bye 👋🏽

   I sighed and threw my phone onto my bed. Lucas could be really hard-headed sometimes. This wasn't going anywhere. I decided to stay out of it and let them talk it out when they're ready.

Shauna's POV

  It had been two weeks. Lucas and Maya refused to talk to each other, which had put a serious rift in our group. Since most of us were there when Josh kissed Maya, the majority was siding with her. The only one who wasn't was Riley. Yep Riley. I still think it's a ploy to get Lucas back but we all just ignored her and Lucas and went about our own lives. Zay was also pretty neutral in the matter, with Lucas being his best friend and all, but he hung out with Farkle, Maya, Smackle and I more than the other two.

  "I wish they would just make up already," Zay sighed to the rest of us. Maya was still in the lunch line so we could talk freely about this without upsetting her.

  "Same," I agreed, "We all know that Josh kissed her, I don't get why she won't just tell Lucas that." Farkle nodded from next to me, "Yeah, it doesn't make much sense."

"Maybe she's trying to protect herself." Smackle spoke up. "Protecting herself from what?" Farkle asked incredulously, "She's only hurting herself more."

   "No I think I understand where Smackle's coming from," I said, "Maya always thought that bad things are meant to happen to her. She believes that hope's for suckers. She thinks that this is her fate, and that there's nothing she can do about it. Obviously that's false but that's what she's grown up believing, and it's hard to change a mindset once it's been ingrained in you."

"Wow. I had no idea you were so insightful," Farkle said while squeezing my hand which caused me to blush and lean into his touch. I shrugged, "My mom's an English teacher and both my biological parents have been broken. It comes with the territory." The group chuckled a bit and then Maya slid in the seat beside me.

  "Whatcha all talking about?" she asked with a face full of taco. "You," I answered simply. Maya groaned, "Guys we've been over this. What's done is done, can we please move on?"

"We just want what's best for you. You deserve so much Maya," Zay told her. Maya just sighed, "Listen it's fine, I don't need fixing. Lucas and I are over and you need to accept that. Please don't bring this up again okay."

  We all sighed and mumbled out various agreements before turning back to our lunches and changing the topic of conversation.