Chapter 26: Finally!

Maya POV

  It was Saturday September 5th and I was sitting in Central Park just sketching the view.
Shauna was with me too, though she was reading some book with her earbuds in. As I was sitting in tranquility, my phone rang, startling me.

Hello?

Hey maya, it's Lucas.

Ok what's up Huckleberry?

I need to talk to you. Can we meet up?

Well I'm at Central Park right now so I guess you can meet me there.

Alright awesome thanks. See you in a few.

Bye.

  "Who was that?" Shauna asked, having noticed me on the phone. "Oh just Lucas. He wants to see me for some reason," I shrugged.

"Think he's gonna try to convince you to be with him again?" I sighed, "I hope not, if he asks again I might just give in." "Ooh then I hope that's why he's coming!" Shauna clapped excitedly and I rolled my eyes playfully in response.

  I went back to sketching although between my beating heart, the nervous butteries, and my racing thoughts, I could hardly pay attention to the task at hand. My pencil darted across the paper shading the tree and then I jumped to finish the outline of a bird suspended in the crystal blue sky. My knee was shaking, and I decided to stop my drawing or else I would make a mistake.

   Soon footsteps crunched over fallen leaves behind me and my heart accelerated.

  "Hey," I heard his voice say over my shoulder. "That's a beautiful drawing," he continued, his breath tickling my ear. A blush crawled up my face against my will, "Thanks," I whispered.

  "Oh Lucas is here! Hey," Shauna exclaimed, having looked up from her book again. "Hi Shauna," Lucas greeted her, though I felt his eyes were trained on me.

  "So what did you want to talk to Maya about?" Shanau pried after a few seconds of silence. Lucas cleared is throat but said nothing. I glanced at him and saw he was blushing with discomfort so I decided to step in, "I think Ranger Rick wants to have a private conversation," I said shooting Shauna a knowing look.

"Oh right..." she picked up her stuff and backed away super slowly, "Well I'll be over there if you need me..." she said motioning to a nearby tree but she didn't move. "Shauna..." I said with a warning tone in my voice. "Right okay yeah see you later," she rushed her words and reluctantly went over to the tree though I could tell, she was going to try to eavesdrop.

   "Shauna seems more interested in this than you are," Lucas joked awkwardly. "Yeah..." I chuckled and slowly closed my sketchbook and turned to him, "So what's up Sundance?"

"Riley's okay with us now!" he shouted, practically wiggling with excitement.

  "What? When? How did this happen?" "Yesterday during lunch. I tried to explain to her that she and I were over again and that I wanted to be with you, and then she got angry at me, but then I explained how this wasn't the girl she used to be and then she finally admitted that she was just being selfish and then she said she said it was okay that you and I dated."

  I hung on to every word. "Wait are you serious? Riley is okay with us?" He nodded excitedly, "Yes Maya, how great is this!"

  I smiled at him but then my smile faltered, "It's really great Huckleberry, but I should still double check with her," I told him. He nodded, "Yeah good idea."

I pulled out my phone and texted her.

Me: Hey Riles, I heard that you're ok with Lucas and I dating, is that true?