Chapter 23: Last Week

Shauna's POV

  It was now a week before school ended. Nothing eventful had happened in the past month in a half. Riley was still pretty bitter about the whole Maya and Lucas thing but she was desperate to keep Maya as a friend so she's pretended to move past it. Lucas was becoming impatient with waiting for Maya to be ready but he's hanging in there.

  Farkle and Smackle are still going strong as far as I can tell, but I rarely pay attention anymore. 

  Zay hasn't changed, he's still the same as he's always been, although he's probably more anxious for Lucaya to happen than Lucas is, which says a lot.

   As for me, I still get butterflies whenever I talk to Farkle but I try my best to push them away. Riley and I still aren't close, although we've forgiven each other, and Maya and I had drifted apart a bit but only because she's spending a lot of time with Riley and I'm not. Which is completely fine, and I hold no grudges towards her at all.

   Anyways, now it's finals week which is the most stressful time of the year in any student's life. So hopefully tensions don't bubble over.

*****

   "Hey Shauna, what's your next final?" Lucas asked, coming up to me after our final with Mr. Matthews. I looked at the schedule and sighed, "Biology Honors." "Ugh I hate that class," Lucas groaned, "I have that on Thursday. Good luck." I laughed, "Thanks I'll need it."

  Lucas and I had become good friends over the past couple months. Since I had no direct involvement with the triangle but I was connected to both Riley and Maya, he would often come to me for advice for what he should do.
  For the first hour or so we would talk about that and then eventually branch off into other, more casual topics. Sometimes we would even help each other with homework, which was nice because we both had the same level of intellect so we could both help each other, without one person dominating like Smackle or Farkle would've done.

  We seemed to understand each other, and could talk— or not talk— for hours without it being awkward. And the best part was, neither of us had any feelings for each other, so there was no chance of ruining the friendship that we had with complications.

   Anyway, as I was thinking these things, I found myself slipping into my seat for my Bio final. I stared at the scantron in front of me and felt my stomach contract with nerves. This was one of my hardest classes and I really wanted to do well.

  "Hey Shauna!" Farkle slid into the seat next to me, "Are you excited for this final?" he asked cheerfully. He was a genius— obviously— and loved science so much that he was taking both Biology and Chemistry Honors classes. I couldn't understand why he'd torture himself like that but whatever floats his boat I suppose.

  "Not as excited as you are," I chuckled, and felt heat threatening to crawl up my face. He looked at me with those piercing blue eyes of his and gave a reassuring smile, "Oh come on, I'm sure you'll do great! You're one of the smartest girls I know." He paused and smirked the slightest bit, "Other than Smackle of course."

My face fell the slightest bit at the last part and I turned back to my desk, making sure I had all the supplies I needed, "Thank you Farkle," I said right as the teacher announced the start of the exam.

*****

   "Finals are finally over!" Zay shouted with glee on Friday afternoon, "School's out, and we never have to go back to this hell hole again!"
I laughed, "Zay, we have to go back in August." He glared at me, "Can't you let a man be happy for once?" "Maybe one day," I smirked and continued walking with the rest of the group to Topanga's.