Chapter 28: Heart matters (1)

Shauna POV

  Riley, Maya and I were all hanging out in the Matthews' apartment on Saturday, December 5th.

  "Hey!" Riley sat up suddenly, "I just had an amazing idea!" Before we could ask what it was, she rushed out of the room. Maya and I looked at each other and shrugged, deciding to just follow the bubbly brunette.

  "Mom, Dad!" Riley called through the house. Topanga came out of her bedroom followed by a tired-looking Cory Matthews. "Yes honey?" "I just had an amazing idea!"

  "Here we go," Maya groaned, and I sighed in agreement. "You guys haven't even heard my idea yet," Riley pouted.

"Alright sweetheart, what's your idea?" Cory asked. "I think we should go to the Ski Loge for Christmas!" "No!" Cory, Topanga, Maya and I all immediately shouted. Riley frowned, "Why not?"

"Have you learned nothing?" I shouted at her, "The Ski lodge has caused so many problems, we don't need to risk that again." "Yeah," Maya spoke up, "Cory and Topanga were nearly ruined, Lucas and I were nearly ruined, we don't need another relationship to go down the drain. Next it'll be Farkle and Smackle." "Oh come on. No one could ruin Smarkle, they're perfect for eachother."

  I frowned to myself but said nothing.

  "Cory and Topanga are perfect for eachother too!" Mr. Matthews shouted, "No Ski Lodge!"

   "Dad," Riley whined, "Everything is good now. Maya and Lucas have been together for three months, Smackle and Farkle have been together for two years, and I'm interested in Evan and he likes me back so it's all perfect."

   Here we go, I thought to myself. Cory wasn't going to like Riley dating Lauren's son.

  "You and Evan what!" Cory screamed, "Nope, not happening, no, no no, no no!" Maya laughed, "Is Matthews a wittle scared about Riley having a new boyfriend?" "No boyfriend! I barely even accepted Lucas, She doesn't need another boy in her life," Cory panicked.

  "Cory..." Topanga rested a hand on her husband's shoulder, "Evan seems like a nice boy. Plus Riley's almost sixteen. She's old enough for this kind of thing." "Fine," Cory huffed, "But we're still not going to the Ski Lodge." 

*****

   "So we're going to the Ski Lodge over Christmas break," I announced to our group a few days later.

  Yep, Mr. Matthews had finally given in to Riley's pleas. I don't know how she managed that but she did. I admired her determination.

  "Ok you guys have fun," Lucas said sarcastically. "Nope Billy Bob, you're coming." "As great as that sounds, I'm actually going back to Texas for Christmas break." "Ugh fine," Maya sighed, "You'll FaceTime me right Huckleberry?" "Of course I will!" Lucas promised his girlfriend. "Good."

  "Well I will come," Farkle announced. "So will I," Smackle added.
  "Great! Zay what about you?" He shook his fervently, "Nah I'm not gonna risk even more drama."
  Riley pouted for a second but quickly cheered up, "Alright we'll the five of us will all leave on December 26th and stay through New Years. It'll be great!"

*****

  Finals and Christmas had passed and now we were stuck in a crowded car, heading to Pennsylvania for the next three hours.

   "I can't wait to see Evan!" Riley gushed. She had been texting and FaceTiming him non-stop ever since she convinced her dad to go to the ski lodge. "Well sorry to break it to you honey, but you'll have to," Maya told her, causing Riley to frown and turn back to her phone.