Chapter 4

Kakashi wasn't bothered when his mom died. She had died when he was born. He never knew her. And yet, some part of him longed for the warmth a mother would bring, one that he would never have. He was happy on his own with his father. He had never needed anyone else. And yet, why did he long for someone who he never knew?

_________________________________________________

          Kakashi had made a slight detour after the academy. If anything, it was made to get away from Gai. He did feel slightly guilty about it since it was the first time in a while he was able to see his father. He had been doing missions non stop for a while now, giving Kakashi barely anytime to see his father. He didn't mind though. He wasn't stupid. He had seen people pointing at him and whispering in the streets, always talking about his father. Even the other shinobi now hated his father. He remembered the time when everyone adored his father. His father was as strong as the sannin, he was someone who Kakashi wanted to be when he got older. After the mission went wrong though, he wasn't sure what to think. He still loved his father though, and that was all there was to it. He walked home, people were clearing up for the oncoming storm. He walked the streets alone, wincing when lightning crashed down. He kicked off his sandals, racing inside. "Tou-san?" The house was quiet and empty. "Tou-san?" He traveled to his father's room. The lights were off. He froze in front of the door, he smelled blood. "Tou-san!" He kicked open the door waiting for something to happen. Nothing did. He let out a choked scream.

Ice slowly started spreading from his fingertips and toes.

          "Ka-Kakashi. Take care of Rin for me will you? Remember what I said." Kakashi stared at the mangled body of his best friend, tears streaming down his face. "W-wait Obito. You can't die. Wh-why?!" Obito looked at him before ripping out his eye, the sharingan. "Here. A gift from me. This is goodbye Kakashi. I'm sorry. Go help Rin now. Okay? For me." Kakashi sobbed silently and stood up, the sharingan in his hand. He disappeared.

Ice spread to his arms and legs.

          "R-Rin?" Kakashi stared at his arm that was coated in her blood, hand deep in her heart. "I-I'm sorry Kakashi. I h-had to." Kakashi looked at her face, horror stricken. Her smiling face. She couldn't leave him. He just lost Obito too. Why?

Ice spread further. Inching towards his beating heart.

          He stared down at the bodies of his parent figures. His teacher and his wife. The ones who took him in when he was alone. Tears gathered in the corners of his eyes. Why did everyone leave him? Their bodies were curled around their newborn son. Naruto. He looked like his sensei. Blond spiky hair and blue eyes. Eyes that were staring curiously at him. Were babies supposed to do that? 

          He knew it wasn't the nine tails fault. He had seen the sharingan in its eyes. So why? Which Uchiha would set it on the village. He knew he should feel something, anger, the want of revenge. And yet he felt empty. His heart froze over. He picked up the baby. It was unlikely he would ever be able to interact with Naruto after this. The baby burbled happily, reaching up to try and touch his face. Kakashi smiled. In his mind he vowed to always watch over Naruto, make sure he would be safe, teach him what he could never learn himself.

The ice containing his heart shattered.