Chapter 43 - Financial Crisis 3: Agreement

The house where Xiao Lou and Yu Hanjiang stayed was called ‘Shanshui Guesthouse’. This was a small building with two floors. The first floor had six rooms in addition to the lobby. The second floor had eight rooms and they were placed in 207.

Entering into the door, Xiao Loue explored around the room. It was around 40 square metres. The area might be small but it was complete. There were a separate bathroom, toilet and a small kitchen approximately 4 square metres with a range hood and freezer. This meant they could cook their own food.

In this remote small city, for a guesthouse during the off-peak season, 100 yuan a night was also cheap.

Both beds were single beds and they were small but clean.

The north side had a window that could be pushed outwards. Yu Hanjiang walked to the window and pushed open the window to look outside. Downstairs was a pedestrian street. There were many snack bars and clothing stores. It was working hours and the weather was hot so there weren’t many pedestrians on the street.

Yu Hanjiang told Xiao Lou, “This place is cheap but it is on a pedestrian street. It is likely to be robbed after the financial crisis occurs. Fortunately, I have a gun. If it is a simple burglary then I can cope.”

Xiao Lou nodded. “We need a list of materials. We will discuss it and then buy it later.”

There was a piece of paper on the bedside table with ‘Opinion Book’ on it and a pencil.

Xiao Lou took it and quickly wrote down some of the necessary supplies on it.

Mineral water must be prepared in case water was cut off in the city. Milk and chocolate were protein-replenishing and fast-calorie foods. Compressed biscuits could make people feel fuller. Canned fruits could be used to supplement with vitamins when supplies were scarce. Vacuum-packed eggs, meat, canned fish etc. weren’t easy to expire and could be hoarded.

Xiao Lou often bought food to cook and he knew the types and prices of foods. He quickly made a list of comprehensive and nutritious goods. Of course, he didn’t like instant noodles but they were cheap and two boxes could be bought as a spare.

Once he finished writing down the food, Yu Hanjiang added necessary items such as a lighter, candles, flashlights, travel backpacks, knives, medical bandages, travel sleeping bags etc., things that they could carry with them at any time. Xiao Lou added several medicines such as commonly used antipyretics, diarrhea medicine, antibiotics etc. This would prevent them from needing to go to the hospital if they became sick in these seven days.

The two people checked the list and pondered what else they were missing.

Xiao Lou’s travel experience combined with Yu Hanjiang’s wildness camping experience meant the list was complete. The two people were prepared to survive seven days on a desert island.

These things weren’t expensive to eat or use and the key was if they thought about it.

Xiao Lou said, “Once the financial crisis breaks out tomorrow, the prices will definitely rise. Therefore, the money on us right now is the most valuable. I think it is better to replace 80% of our money with goods. The rest will depend on the situation.”

Yu Hanjiang nodded. “Yes, it is better to have more things. If we can’t finish eating them then take them to sell.”

Money would become worthless and a bottle of water that cost 200 gold coins was likely to skyrocket by several times. If their material reserves were planned well, they could make a small profit during the financial crisis.