Chapter 3 - Town Hall

Darren remembered growing up thinking that being mate bonded was some sort of arranged marriage. The way everyone had described it to him as a kid, the moment you knew who it was, you essentially were destined to be together the rest of your lives. There were even old tales claiming that it was the Moon Goddess who was picking out your perfect mate for you, and whatever the goddess said, goes.

Fortunately Darren had the common sense to do his own research instead of listen to what a bunch of old farts said. What he found was a more logical explanation. According to this research, mate bonding is nothing more than your instincts telling you that your 'destined partner' had perfectly matching genes to yours and that you two would make great kids some day, which is why you had to be within the range of each others pheromones before the bonding even happened. He much preferred this explanation over some supernatural mother-in-law telling people who to marry.

Regardless of whether it was the Moon Goddess or genes, Darren's ultimate conclusion was that the bond was more of a suggestion, not an order like many packs treated it. It was extremely rare, but you could potentially meet another perfect match one day. The problem was that werewolves preferred to stick with the first option, because to them, the bond was sacred and not to be questioned.  Plus being mateless was considered an absolute horrid fate.

Before Sophie had a chance to grab him, Darren turned tail and booked it back down the hall. He was sure Jasper felt the bond as well, but he wouldn't know who it was without seeing him first. 

Annoying as it was, Darren's instincts were screaming at him to run away just as much as they were screaming for him to turn around and face the music.

"Wait!" His aunt called behind him, but he was outside and on his way to the parking lot already. Pausing to take a breath, he eventually let her catch up. "What the hell was that?"

He glowered up at her. "Jasper was there." He explained.

"Oh..." Was all she said as understanding dawned on her. "Okay, look, I know you two have a terrible track record, but we're not here for Jasper, we're here to help find the missing kids. We just need to focus on getting Alpha Liams attention first. If we have to work with Jasper to make that happen though, then I can do the talking...But just so you know, Jasper's changed quite a lot since you left."

Darren quirked an eyebrow, disbelieving. "I doubt that."

"Darren, please. This is serious. We need to talk to the Alpha right away and I don't think the receptionist is going to let me barrel my way to his office a second time. "

He ran a hand through his hair and leaned against the car to think. He couldn't go back in there. He had no idea how Jasper would react once he found out they were bonded, but knowing the pack's mentality, everyone would insist they hold the bond just as sacred as their ancestors did. It didn't matter that they were both males, or that they hated each other. He knew exactly what everyone would say. That the bond would change their hearts or some sort of Disney Fairytale bull crap. Darren didn't believe any of that. He would not be forced to work for any Alpha, he would not be forced to join the pack, and he absolutely refused to be bonded with Jasper. He had to do something to hide it.

Groaning in annoyance, he stood back up and opened the passenger door. "I forgot something in my bag."

"What?"

"We need to go back to the house. I left it there." He explained.

"Can't we get it afterwards?"

Darren shook his head. "No. I need it now. It...Helps with my powers." He lied.

His aunt stared at him for another moment before sighing and getting in. They drove back to the house and he flew inside to his backpack that was still sitting near the front door. Digging through his clothes, he found it.