A Quiet and Starry Place

After hearing the news, Harold went outside and sat at the edge of the island. Not knowing what to think, he just sat there with his head in his hands.

   "How are you feeling?"

   Harold turns his head to see that it was Star. "I don't know." He gave a slight smile.

   "I couldn't help but notice your ring." She said.

   "What?" He asked, he then remembered the ring on his finger. "Oh yeah," he laughed. "Yeah, it's a replica of the "One Ring" from Lord of the Rings."

   "Oh I know." She said with a smile on her face. "I love the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies, well, just movies in general. I'm a cinephile."

   Harold's gaze went from the sky to her. "I...I am to." he said. "What's your favorite movie?"

   She thought about it for a minute while she sat next to him. "I would have to say the movie "her" starring Joaquin Phoenix."

   "I love that movie, I mostly love the chemistry between Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson."

   "Me too, and the the song they sing," (She starts singing the song) "I'm lying on the moon, my dear I'll be there soon, It's a quiet and starry place, times we're swallowed up , in space we're here a million miles away."

   Harold's eyes swelled up in tears.

   "What's wrong?" She asked, "Did I upset you?"

   "No, but not to sound sappy, but just a few days ago I was nothing. Just some dust being carried on by the wind or a target for the other kids more "Popular" then I am. And now...I am along with you of course, are the last chance for this magical land's survival."

   "This reminds me so much of the Hobbit and or the Lord of the Rings." She laughed to herself.

   "I know." he laughed back. "And if I do die here...I want you to sing Billy Boyd's "The Last Goodbye.""

   She laughed hysterically, "Ok," she said with a smile on her face. "I can do that, but I want you to do the same." She said, with a hint of love in her voice and eyes."