Chapter Twenty Two

Early the next day, they were on their way.

Sozee was on Kip and two other creatures had been lent to them for their journey to the mainlands.
Kieran and Maya sat on one creature and Ash and Nebbia sat on another and they made the uncomfortable journey from the FEDGE lands, all the way through to the seasonals.
In the seasonals they had the chilling experience of trying to outrun and or dodge the strikes from the dry thunderstorm, there were a few close shaves but none of them were hit by the lightning.  Maya didn't know how they would handle that type of casualty.
They made their way through the side of the traps that Nebbia had led them through the first time and finally they reached the tell tale lands.
They reached the place right as the sun was setting and they made their way into Sozee's house with Sozee herself in the lead.

Maya paid no heed to the prince going from house to house with a glass slipper until he started badgering her. Asking her to take off her sneaker so she could fit the shoe. She turned on him fiercely "Will you leave me alone! I'm no Cinderella , she's the girl in the torn clothes working over there mate!"

The poor guy shrank in fear as she shoved past him and entered the house. Her mother was trapped and no fairytale- pretty - faced boy with a glass slipper two sizes too small was going to delay her. The others followed suit into the large house. It was as big as Aunt Sahlee's house but not as homely. She knew this now that she had been in both houses.

A thin and unpleasant looking girl sat a little bit away from the door and perked up when the door opened, she sank back down as if they were not the ones she was expecting.
" Oh, it's not the prince. It's just you" she said to Sozee in a high nasally voice that passed uncomfortably in Maya's ears.

Sozee rolled her eyes. The eye rolling movement was catching on.

"Will you leave us alone please, we have things to plan." Sozee said simply.

The girl's lips turned up to form a cruel smile "Poor little Sozee, running around with strange friends cause Mama doesn't like you the way she likes me. Quite sad really. "
Sozee huffed in annoyance "Can you leave this place now?"
The girl made herself even more comfortable "Make me do so."
They watched as Sozee marched towards the girl, grab her ear and whisper harshly into it.
Her eyes grew wild and she grabbed her things and rushed out of the room, howling when she reached the stairs.
"I'm telling on you Sozzee. MOTHERRRRRR!!!!"
The girl made so much noise as she climbed the stairs and vanished out of sight.

The squad didn't flinch at the shouting this time, well except for Ash. He looked like he wished he could throw a knife up the stairs to follow the unpleasant being who had just left.

"Now that's done."  Sozee sounded very pleased with herself so much so that it brought a smile to Maya's lips.

"I wonder what you told her?"
Kieran asked.
Sozee smiled " I told her the three of you were crazy and would beat her up, especially Maya. I guess she believed me"
Thankfully they didn't see or hear from her again or catch a glimpse of Sozee's equally unpleasant mother.  Maya was happy Sozee had done something about that bully.
Sozee gave the boys their rooms for them to rest and replenish their energy
The girls however decided to share one room and spent the night talking and laughing while Kip moved around in their room, behaving like an excited puppy everytime they giggled.

                                X

The next day came in a rush and they dressed up, ready to go to the main lands after a few minutes. Not a dress was in sight, just one pair of jeans and leather pants for the rest of them.
They received a letter from Sahlee wishing them good luck.  She wasn't happy that the children had to go and fix the mess. She thought Faye was crazy and she only hoped that they would be able to destroy the gem fast so that help could come their way.