Chapter Twenty Seven

Maya couldn't believe that they were going to throw a party to celebrate the end of all this madness.
Okay no not a party.
It was a good old fashioned ball

Everything was in that stage where it was all very very strange and hard to believe but she would take everything one step at a time.
That's the best thing she could do for herself.
Her mom was still her mom of course but now her mom was a mother to the whole kingdom, Nebbia was still a sarcastic and sometimes infuriating friend... It would be difficult to think of her as her sister... For now.

Maya had been sent just now and was carrying a basket of fabrics to hand over to Hartley. She was frazzled and sweaty but she was kind of excited to see how these people would celebrate the good things that had finally happened.
Things were slowly coming to shape in the kingdom, she couldn't really tell what the changes were but she could feel it.
The air even felt fresher.
Even before she reached Hartley's location, the door next to her opened with so much force that her basket fell down.
Thankfully it didn't slam into her face and squash her nose.
That wouldn't have been funny.
At all.

Old Kita came out of the door and grabbed Maya's wrist. "Come now, there is someone I want you to see."
Maya couldn't even protest, she was in the room in seconds.

There sitting on the bed with a cup in his hands was the king.
She stood there awkwardly, not knowing exactly how to start the weird 'hi-I'm your long lost daughter- conversation'
He did have a kind face, albeit very thin.
It was probably the years of being trapped that had made him lose weight. " Maya the savior of the kingdom. It has been a long time since I last saw you. I trust you are alright? ."
His voice sounded kind of thin and she could envision the flipping of pages when he spoke. Yes it was weird but that's what she thought about instantly . She wondered if that was because of his condition or if that was how his voice naturally was.

" Yes... Sir. Yes I am"
She fumbled. A subtle smile came on his face.
So this was her father. The one who supposedly loved her and her siblings very much. She wondered why she had a hard time remembering everything. After all she was about eight years old when the whole thing had happened and not even one memory stayed with her.
Was it part of the curse?
Then if so, why didn't the memories come back after it was broken. Or was she just too young to understand everything when it had happened.
She sighed deeply and ran her fingers through her hair, it seemed she was getting a headache again.

"I am glad you are safe, Maya. Thank you for saving the kingdom but I am afraid it is time for my rest. Old Kita will not allow me to exert myself more than neccesary."
Maya giggled, she guessed Old Kita wasn't past bullying anybody. Not even the ruler of the whole kingdom.  Maybe Old Kita was low-key the topmost ruler of the whole kingdom.  It brought a laugh out of her.
She nodded and smiled.
" Rest well" She said, waiting for some seconds before she turned to leave the room, not missing the wink Old Kita threw at her.
Maya chuckled and walked out, trying once more to locate Hartley the maid. She was so difficult to find.

                             X

It was the night of the great Ball and anticipation was in the air.
But currently, Queen Lilian's hand was in Maya's hair.
The Queen . Aka. Lily Ford . Aka. Maya's mom was tying her hair up in a high ponytail and sprinkling glitter on it

"Is that necessary mom?!" Maya declared while pulling away from her mother a bit.
"Of course! You have to shine Maya. Shine!"
Maya snorted standing up and twirling in her borrowed A-line party dress and T-strap heels. The dress was a deep blue and she was so surprised when her mother brought it for her. Apparently a talented tailor had made this for Maya secretly under her mother's commands, she had done a dress for Nebbia too.
Maya hugged her mother and walked outside. She had refused the crown her mother had offered her to wear. It was just too soon for that kind of attention.
She smiled as soon as she reached the courtyard. There were just so many happy people, eating and chatting.