Chapter 19

Demetri holds Kyra's hand as her body goes through transitions; his ears focused on the sound of her speeding heart rather than the screams leaving her mouth. She's in pain and a part of him fights the urge to end it for her but he can't do that, he wouldn't be able to live with himself.

He hasn't left her side in four days and he doesn't plan on doing it; Felix brought him a blood bag every once in a while to keep his soul brother from flipping but other than that only Marcus was allowed to enter the room. Though, the father only checks in every morning and evening to make sure she and he are alright.

During the last days, the red in her hair as deepened and the light freckles on her skin became more visible as well; she looks beautiful. His thumb draws pattern on her hand but stops once he hears her heartbeat slow down before it starts racing. It stays like that for a few moments before it stops completely leaving the room in absolute silence.

It seems like time stops as Demetri waits for what's about to happen next. Seconds seem like hours, and with every passed second the hour seem to get longer and longer. He would swear he's never felt this impatient in his long, immortal life and never had he wished for a time machine more than in this moment.

Meanwhile Kyra is in pain, while her crying and screaming has stopped a few moments ago, her throat feels like it's in flames, her heart aches as the venom takes over her body and her senses play crazy at the new smells, tunes and feelings.

Her eyes fly open in a sharp move and she nearly flinches as she sees everything and with everything, she means everything. Every scratch in the ceiling, every change in colour no matter how light it may be, every fibre flying through the air but most importantly, she sees HIM... Demetri. Sitting up in a swift move, Kyra doesn't realise how fast she is until she sees the surprise in her Mate's eyes.

The older vampire takes a minute to admire her bright red eyes that darken as his Mate seems to recognize the burning in her throat; he admires her sharp features, her soft hair and the warm feeling through her eyes. And, he didn't know it was possible, but his love and adoration for her grew to the endless in that moment.

"Kyra."
he breaths snapping both of them out of their trance while he gets up.

The newborn, not knowing her strength, speeds herself in his arms; Demetri falling back onto his back at the sudden weight. The redhaired looks up at him in shock but he doesn't care at the moment and just pulls her closer to his chest; her head laying on his neck.

"Are you hungry?"
he asks her softly as he notices her held breath. Nodding against his shoulder, she wraps her arms tightly around him as he jumps up and takes her with him.

"Hey, not to sound like I'm complaining but you're going to crush me."
Demetri tells her and she pulls away from him in shock.

"I'm sorry."
she immediately apologies, something in her screaming at her for daring to hurt her Mate.

"Let's get you someone to feed on."
he smiles simply while pressing a tender kiss to her head before leading her to the back door; their fingers interlocked with each other.

Kyra stops dead in her tracks as he opens the door; the loud noises and faint smell of blood.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here. just concentrate on me."
Demetri notices immediately and pulls her back to him; letting her bury her nose in his shoulder to soak in his smell rather than that of blood. They aren't that far away from the kitchens and he knew that Kyra had to struggle for a bit but he never thought about what would happen, if one of their maids was actually stupid enough to cut herself.