b r e c o u r t

tap, tap, tap, tap Floyd's leg was unable to stop bouncing, as he sat along the wall in between Liebgott and Toye. Jumping without Eva was a nightmare, when he saw the plane go down and he wasn't in the same plane with her was torture. One of the men sitting next to Floyd had a watch that was ticking quite loud and every few minutes, Tab would sneak a glance at it. 3:05 pm, 3:10 pm, 3:14 pm. Until finally, finally he saw a group of men come around the corner, Eva included. 

The stench of blood was in the air and made Eva gag as she stepped forward to greet Liebgott hugging men. Tab immediately engulfed her in a huge bear hug. "Worried about me are we now?" Eva grinned as she returned the hug. It had been weeks since she even bothered to look in his direction, pissed and hurt from her conversation with Luz and Perconte on the train. He broke the hug and cheekily smiled "Pshh, we needed somebody to enlighten Roe and his death glare" 

"I don't think you'll find much luck with me, solider" Eva winked back, in the same cheeky way. "But I missed you. And I want to say that I'm sorry for ignoring you since the train ride. I shouldn't care if you kiss someone, we're not together anyways."  Floyd's heart dropping slightly, staring at her for a few minutes before mirroring Eva's smile and nodding. Turning around to talk to Winters about heading out. "Morris" Joe Toye's raspy voice calls out from behind her. He's slumping under a dirt wall, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth but he crushes it under his feet and Eva turns around, smiling at her friend.

"Trouble in paradise?" His teasing tone makes her snap out of her thoughts and puts a playfully scolding look onto her face. She joins sitting next to him "Not funny. We haven't spoken since May, I should move on. I'm trying" Eva forces the words out but they come out strained as she's shifting around to move her messenger bag to the front of her body. "What's there to move on from? You don't like him that way, right" Toye looks over at her still body "Right.." Eva drags the word out, grateful that Malarkey sits down next to them almost in a hurry. It looked like he had just saw a ghost. Joe instantly turns to Malarkey "Hey Malark, where's the best chow? Berlin" When Donald doesn't answer, Eva shifts her weight to look at him "Are you alright? You look like you just saw someone get shot"

"No, I-" He stumbles upon his words as he watches Lieutenant Ronald Speirs walk by with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth "I.." Eva and Joe follow where he's looking but they're confused and slightly unamused. Rumors and horror stories spread like wildfire about Speirs. A real paratrooper wouldn't focus on them.

-

The planning for the attack on Brecourt manner was long, and done with a blue crayon. Winters was telling everyone their positions, and what they were doing "Compton, Malarkey, Toye, Guarnere, we'll be making the main assault. Morris and Roe are both here and landed with us. We won't have any trouble with that" a lump spread throughout Eva's throat at the thought of war, she knew damn well this is what she signed up for. She had jumped, and now all she had to do was tend to dying men. In her head, it sounded more convincing that she could do this. As all the men grabbed their helmets and made their way out of the tent, Eva was caught dead in her tracks. 

"Shouldn't you be outside with all of Able company?" Toye turned around to question the poor private who had first met up with her and Winters.  Bill chuckled and stood up to leave the tent. "Toye shut your fucking mouth and leave him alone. He'll get to his company. So, so what if he stayed here to listen to planning?"  It was a trivial thing to get angry over, but he looked so young. 19 at most, and reminded Eva much of her younger cousin at home. Clingy, and scared. And if her cousin who was clingy and scared in Kokomo, Indiana was like that, she couldn't even imagine what he would be like in war. Eva shot a look at Toye and made her way out of the tent.

"WEAPONS AND AMMO, DROP EVERYTHING ELSE. GOT ANY SPARE AMMO OR A MUSETTE BAG, BRING THAT ALONG" Winters calls out, walking around to make sure everybody was ready for attack. "Lieutenant Winters sir, I was wondering if you needed an extra hand" Those 9 words made Joe Toye whip his head around at the speed of light. "Aren't you Sinks jeep driver" 

Eva smacked his arm "What does it matter to you if he gives Winters help?" Toye moves back to stare at her, giving her a dirty look for a few minutes "Because he's not even a solider. What if he screws everything up?" She rolled her eyes and tied up her boots again. "Right. So one person is going to screw up an entire operation for hundreds of other soldiers. If he gets shot, he gets shot. And that's why we have medics" 

At the sound of the words "Let's move, let's move" Eva turned to Talbert before he could leave "Good luck Floyd. Stay safe" "You know me, I will. Don't worry too much, Morris" Before turning and following Winters away.