NOT EVERYTHING FEELS LIKE SOMETHING

The first thing Eva noticed as she took a seat, was the colored drawing of Operation Market Garden. She made a mental note  to compliment Dick on his artistry later. "This is Operation Market Garden" Dick pointed to the handmade map, walking to the front of the room, hands behind his back and in a parade rest attention form. "In terms of airborne divisions involved, this one is even bigger than Normandy. We're dropping deep into occupied Holland" Eva scanned the room, locking her eyes with Lipton's when she reached them. Both eyes holding a certain sympathy for each other and the rest of Easy.

"The allied objective is to take this road here" Dick turned to point to a brown colored line, on the edge of the map  "Between Eindhoven and Arnhem. So, that two British armored divisions can move up it" The sighs could be heard around the room as they escaped from the men's mouths. Floyd's face was concentrated and straight ahead, his shoulders were tense and he was dripping in sweat from the hot, un air conditioned room. Eva put her hand on his knee, patting it as a sign of sympathy but out of instinct, Floyd reached for her hand to put in his. She felt nauseous, it was a good kind of nausea though. The kind you get on a rollercoaster, or when you read that one specific part in a romance book over and over again. 

"Our job is going to be to liberate Eindhoven. Stay there, wait for the tanks" Dick looked at every single face in that room, he believed in them, he trusted each men out there. 

Nixon stepped forward, taking over the last part. "The entire European advance has been put on hold to allocate resources for this operation. It's Montgomery's personal plan, we'll be put under British command" Groans came from across the room, having to fall under more command put more stress and tension on every single soldier. "The good news is, if this works these tanks will be the Rhine and into Germany. It could end the war and get us home by Christmas"

Those words set a butterfly into Eva's stomach. She looked back at Floyd who was already staring at her. Both of them thinking the same thing, she missed her family, The Talberts. Hope and memories ran through her mind, a mile a minute. His younger brothers Max and Robert, showing off their new toys, and running to show Eva their new books, and then running just as fast as the last to show their new clothes. Kenneth, Floyd's older brother, claiming to have better places to be but sneaking back inside just in time for Mrs Talbert's banana bread.

Of course, the boys had certainly grown but the thoughts alone flushed Eva's cheeks and her eyes brimmed with joyful tears.

"This will be a daytime jump. Intelligence doesn't expect much opposition. They think the krauts in Holland are mostly kids and old men, and we should take 'em by surprise. In any case, say goodbye to England. I don't think they're going to call this one off"

-

Everyone's hopes were held high ever since Nixon had told them this operation could get them home by Christmas. That was until, Skip turned around. His face fell in defeat, and a hint of anger. 

A jeep drove by, and who else was sitting high and tall on the jeep, gawking at Easy like a vulture about to swoop down and eat his prey? Who else other than Sobel. "Son of a bitch" Malarkey muttered.

Eva bit her lip as she stared intensely. "What do you think he wants?" Nobody responded for a moment, all they could watch was this man drive by. He met everyone of their eyes, staring back almost as if he was proving his "Power"

"To make our lives a living hell probably" Malarkey replied, not taking his eyes once off of the jeeps.  "I wouldn't be surprised, he stopped at nothing to make training living hell" Liebgott walked by, giving Eva a side hug. "Good luck on your jump, Morris. Hopefully it won't be as painful as D-Day" His raspy voice whispered into her ear, the words hushed but she could hear them clear. 

"You too, Joe" Eva slightly turned around, not meeting his eyes though. "Can't be having any of the best soldiers be dying on me now, can we?" Joe offered her a half smile, crooked, as he walked away. 

"He's not back to be in charge of Easy is he?" Baker's voice was shaky, nervous. He didn't look a day over 18 and he was most likely new. Only hearing horror stories about Sobel. "Naw, he's a supply officer now" Eugene piped up. He handed Eva a few syrettes and some bandage. 

Roe quickly spoke, suddenly feeling intruding and nervous almost. It truly was understandable "Good luck, Morris" 

Eva stood there for a second, her mind was a blank for a moment. But she wrapped Eugene in a hug, herself most needing one and she knew Roe did too. "Good luck Gene.  I know that you'll be fine" 

As she pulled away, Eva rustled inside of her bag until she pulled out a  tiny bag, filled with crackers and a chocolate bar along with it. "Pour toi.. Did I say that correctly?" Gene stared at the offerings inside of the medics hand "But those are for you" 

"They're for you, Gene. You need them. And if you're going to refuse to sleep while I cover for you, the least I can do is get some food into you. They came along with a letter from Floyd's mother to me" She put them in Roe's hand, offering him one last smile full of hope before she turned to follow Lipton's instructions.

Eva remembered feeling like she was about to vomit before she jumped, and then she saw the flowers