Part 2 Chapter 11

Voices coming from the next room woke me up from my sleep. I look at the alarm clock on the bedside table and find that I have overslept, it is almost 10 am. It is a first for me. But I am so rested that I cannot in any way excuse this little extra. I still have a lot to do, I do not have a second to lose. I stretch and get out of bed regretting its comfort.

A great day is on the way, perfect for my next task. I absolutely must find a place to stay until the end of the school year, within two months. Thereafter, I will look for something more stable near my work or, if I am lucky, of the university which will accept my submission. Right now, my priority is to find something suitable near my school or accessible by public transport.

While I am getting ready, I call the hotel reception to have breakfast delivered to my room. This is the first time I have a restaurant order delivered. It is intoxicating to act as an adult. The receptionist picks up after the first ring.

- Hello, here the reception of the Hilton Wilmington Riverside, how can I help you?

- Hello, I'm in room 503 and I would like to order breakfast please, I said in a still sleepy voice.

- Of course, Miss Parker, answered the receptionist while examining the information about me that appeared on her computer screen. I'm listening to you, she continued. Tell me your order and the hotel concierge will deliver it to you shortly.

- Thank you ! I want scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, croissants, and jam.

- Perfect, it's noted. Maybe you should also take an orange juice to bring it all down, she advised me sarcastically.

I receive the advice with bitterness. Everything is delivered to my room in record time. I am hungry and the smell in the room makes my mouth water. I eat my breakfast like an ogre. I need energy and this healthy meal has given me what I need. Another busy day stand ahead of me. My last bite finished, I take out my restaurant receipt where the telephone numbers of the rooms to rent are written and start with the first one.

- Hello, I'm calling for your room rental announcement.

- Yes, it's available, replied a man in a deep voice.

- What is the rental price?

- 400 $ per month.

- Is it possible to go visit the place?

- Yes, of course. When do you want to come?

- This afternoon, around 1 p.m.

- Perfect, I'll be waiting for you there.

The same thing is repeated for the other five offers. My visits planned, I dress in my jeans and my new pink t-shirt. I brush my hair and tie it in a ponytail, but I finally change my mind to let it go down on my back. My frizz from the day before is gone, but the cut makes it sit wonderfully well. I brush my teeth and analyze my appearance. I never thought about buying makeup so I will go without itfor today. I take my cardigan, my tote bag and I put my wallet in it. I also include the addresses that I wrote down on the hotel notepad lying on the bedside table.

I put on my walking shoes and go down to the reception to ask that I be kept in my room for another night. I still have two months of high school left and I need to focus on my final exams. This is my priority right now. However, it is not in a hotel that I will find tranquility to study. It is necessary to examine my possibilities to make a good decision.

My visits are very interesting. The first bedroom is of poor quality. The place is not very clean and a smell of humidity floats in the air. The rental price is exorbitant when you consider the condition of the room. I do not dwell any longer in this place when I notice traces of mold on the bottom of the walls. I thank the landlord who smells like cigarettes and stinks of alcohol.