Part 3 Chapter 12

Jenny

The road to my future apartment seems short, however I take my time. I have never visited this part of the country, so I look at the landscape and try to get hold of every detail. While driving, I enjoy the wonderful panorama and the bright sun that blinds me when the clouds disappear. The music coming out of the speakers of my little car makes me smile and feel alive. I find myself momentarily moving on the beat and humming the lyrics of catchy songs. This day is perfect. My enthusiasm is energizing, and I am ready to tackle my new challenge.

Using my GPS, I find my way. My apartment is less than ten minutes from the University in a townhouse complex named Brook Hill. Each row of buildings is composed of six side-by-side apartments. I go around the complex to find my building number. When I get close by, I see a woman dressed in a skirt and a white jacket waving at me. I assume she is the real estate agent and I find a parking right up front.

I go around the property with the rental agent. My apartment is the one at the left end of the six row house series. She makes me visit the outside first, showing me the yard that is directly under the sun. A swing and games for children fold the grassy yard. Some trees are strategically placed to provide shaded areas. What I notice, however, is that there are no flowers to embellish this space. I might be able to do something to change that. But for now, I must focus on my priorities.

After going around the courtyard that I will share with the other tenants, she takes me to visit my new home. My apartment includes a dining room, a living room, a bathroom and a laundry room on the ground floor. Upstairs is a large bedroom and a full bathroom. Everything is perfect and well decorated. I wiggle with joy at the beauty of my little corner. After signing all the documents, the real estate agent leaves the premises and I can finally start to settle down.

While I go back and forth between my car and my apartment to get out my belongings, I meet a young man, early twenties, unlocking the door of the apartment next to mine. I feel shocked. He looks at me from head to toe several times, gives me a mischievous smile and disappears as he opens his door. Embarrassed of being looked at like that, I look away suddenly and try to continue my task. I still have a lot of things to do and I must not be distracted.

Despite my unexpected attempts to change my mind, I keep coming back to the young man I saw. At first glance, I found him handsome. His short black hair brings out the brilliance of his silver-blue eyes. His muscular arms mold his black t-shirt and his jeans with holes at the knees showcase his slender waist. His devastating smile charmed me in a split second. With this Apollo physique, he must surely be the kind to have several girlfriends. I get out of my daydream and focus on what I must do. I do not have time to think about boys, I came here to study and not to pursue them. Anyway, who might be interested in me.

When my car is empty, I make a list of what I need and take my vehicle to explore the surroundings. I discover the shopping center, name Crabtree Valley Mall, where I found everything I wrote on my list and more. I buy new clothes, kitchen accessories, colorful decorations, rose scented candles, bath products and many school items. I also take the opportunity to buy food to fill my little pantry. I even take small treats that I have always wanted to enjoy, Danish raspberry and chocolate cupcakes. Mrs. Blackburn showed me, during my short stay in their home, delicious recipes that I cannot wait to try. I am not an expert cook, but I am doing well in the kitchen. It is with the trunk full of my Toyota Corolla that I return to my new apartment.

I unpack everything. I put my clothes in my closet, hang some decorations and fill my fridge and pantry. I am exhausted, but proud of what I accomplished in one day. I make a simple sandwich that I eat with a glass of milk and I go directly to bed. Another big day is waiting for me tomorrow. I only have a few days left before going back to school where a bigger challenge is waiting for me. I will have to overcome my embarrassment and my lack of confidence, hoping however that this time I will not be the laughingstock of my friends. The last four years at my grandmother's house disturbed me so much that I can quickly lose my confidence. A simple thing can make me afraid and lose my temper.