Part 3 Chapter 18

Jenny

The hot sun burns my skin. The birds sing their hymns in their hearts. Hand in hand with Steven, I walk in the garden of Lisse in the Netherlands admiring the mixture of colors coming from the flowers. Steven takes me in his arms and kisses me tenderly. The birds stop singing to watch us. The noise of a woodpecker piercing a tree breaks the silence. Toc toc toc toc toc.

On the verge of breaking out of my romantic dream, I seem to hear in the distance, barely noticeable light knocks, as if someone thumped on a door. Gently, I open my eyes and the noise intensifies. Still asleep, I think I hear Christine's voice and I do not understand anything. When I try to get up, I feel that something is holding me back. Starting to blink to see more clearly, I realize that an arm covered with a tattoo surrounds me. In an instant, the images of what happened overnight pass through my head. My body reacts suddenly, goosebumps invade every inch. I start to blush with excitement, realizing with joy that the man I love sleeps peacefully by my side encircling me protectively.

I slowly get away and try not to wake him up. I turn around to see this face of sublime beauty. I do not yet realize that he is mine, my first love. Lying on his belly, Steven snores slightly, a soothing sound that reminds me of my father. I admire his naked and perfectly cut body barely covered with a light sheet. His features are peaceful. He looks like a statue of a Greek god that is sometimes found in gardens. An electric current run through my body, thinking of the wonderful caresses he has covered me. For my first time, I was overwhelmed. He was an excellent, gentle and caring lover. I have no regrets.

Persistent punches get me out of my daydream. I clearly realize that someone is knocking on my door. I get up quickly and head for the door, realizing just in time that I am completely naked. Without thinking, I reach for the sheet that covers Steven revealing him in all its splendor and I wrap myself awkwardly with the fine fabric that barely hides my nudity. Hurrying up, I slowly open the door and come across Christine, who seems very worried. Amazed to see me wrapped in a sheet, she begins to speak very quickly without stopping.

- Hello, Jenny, have you seen Steven? His boss just called, he wanted to talk to him. I don't know why, but he seemed worried. He didn't answer his cell phone, so he called me. I thought he was sick, but I didn't find him in his bed, and I saw his motorbike in the parking lot.

When she notices Steven in pajamas, coming towards us, Christine remains hanging on her sentence, her mouth open.

- Hello, mom, what's going on? You woke me up with all your questions.

- Excuse me, I didn't mean to disturb you, but your boss is looking for you, she said in surprise as she looked at the two of us.

- But why? It is the day after Christmas. The garage is usually closed.

- I don't know, but he sounded anxious. You should call him.

Embarrassed, I lower my eyes, no longer daring to look at Steven's mother. He notices it and wraps his arms around me in a protective way. When Steven gives me an intimate kiss on the neck, I want to disappear. On the contrary, it is Christine who feels most embarrassed. She realizes, seeing us so intimate, that she may have just interrupted a privileged moment. Without further notice, she wishes us a good day and disappears towards her apartment. We giggle at his mother's reaction.

- Why did you get out of bed? I am so embarrassed.

- Don't worry, my love. I absolutely had to come to your rescue. I know my mother. She would never have left without having an answer.

- I'm almost naked and in front of your mother, too. Ha! my God. What is she going to think?

- She can think what she wants. I love you. And I'm sure she suspected it anyway. Don't be embarrassed, you are so beautiful when you're blushing.