8

3rd person
Darryl woke up in his own bed, for a second forgetting he was no longer in Zak's apartment. He reached up to stretch his arms and yawned. Rat looked up at her owner and snuggled into his side, where he just calmly pet her head. His phone buzzed with a text from Zak.

hey

He smiled, glad he could at least talk to his friend if he wasn't allowed to go in to see him in person. Two weeks in the hospital seemed like they'd go by slowly being so bored and alone.

Hey skep :D how are you doing ?

honestly kinda anxious

Darryl frowned before answering. Just wishing the pandemic would end so he could go over and give his friend a hug and tell him it would be ok.

What's going on zak

they said they tube me if i didn't eat and idk why but i just can't

fuck they're gonna do it now i'm scared

Im sorry zak it'll be alright text me when they're done and we can talk okay?

He didn't get an answer but he knew he'd see his text after and hopefully be up for talking. He sighed as he set his phone in his pocket and began to walk into his kitchen. Why not bake muffins, he thought. Anything for some comfort right now.

Some time passed, mostly just him scrolling through twitter. He passed by one of Skeppy's tweets, must've sent it out while he was still sleeping. It said he was at the hospital for personal reasons and would be taking a break for a little while. Darryl just replied with a heart and scrolled through the replies, making sure everyone was being respectful.

His timer went off and he set the tray of the freshly baked muffins on the stovetop to let them cool down for a minute. His phone started buzzing as soon as set the muffins down and he rushed back to the table to answer. It was Zak again. It was a facetime call.

Darryl happily picked up but was met with Zak's tear stained face.

"Darryl," The small black haired boy sobbed out, trying to calm himself to no avail, "please you have to get me out of here. I'm sure you can sign me out or something. I really hate it here please. I can't."

     "You can do it, you're strong. It's for your own good, the two weeks will go by fast and then you can come home and we can take it slow from there. How's that sound, Zak?" Darryl said trying to stop his friend from spiraling.

     "I'll try for you." Zak said taking in a shaky deep breath.

     "Thank you, but do it for you Zak. You're worth it." Zak just looked down a few tears rolling off his sunken checks. Darryl took in his appearance. His soft black hair was a mess, going in all directions. His eyes were puffy and red, and very dull and tired-looking. An NG tube coming out from his left nostril. Darryl held back a frown, he was so worried for his friend but he didn't want it to seem that way, knowing Zak would take it as pity and feel guilty.

     "How are you feeling man?" Darryl asked trying to motion to his nose through the phone.

"It hurts so bad it's so uncomfortable too but just drinking water or moving feels awful. I tried taking it out before they taped it down, but the nurse got mad." Zak said in a raspy voice.