17

3rd person
Darryl wheeled his spinny chair over to Zak and brushed through his hair gently, staring in awe of how peaceful he looked, taking a nap yet again. That was one of the side effects of Zoloft the doctor had more or less explained to Darryl.

     Amongst many other possibly undesirable side effects it would make him a bit tired occasionally. They had reassured Zak that this wasn't forever, and it was just to help him heal. Seeing as all the strings attached to medication were why he had quit his prescription the first time, it took a bit of convincing from both his doctor's and Darryl for him to agree to give antidepressants another chance.

     Darryl decided to go make some food for the two to eat for dinner, so that he could wake Zak up to a warm meal. Today he decided on making some veggies and rice. Hearing about his friends shaky relationship with food he put in as much effort as he could to make them something that tasted good.

     He plated their meals in bowls, patting the rice down and putting a layer of the peppers, squash and mushrooms he had sautéed over it. He placed the bowls at the coffee table between the couch and the TV, along with utensils, cups of water, sriracha sauce, and these ugly napkins he'd bought at a gag store with memes all over them.

     He got Netflix to load and selected an episode of some random show he had heard Zak once mention wanting to watch. He paused it to go and wake up his friend.

     Zak stood up looking like a zombie after a few minutes of Darryl trying to coax him out of the warmth of the bed. He offered a deal that if he went to eat, Zak could take all the blankets with him. Zak shrugged giving in, shuffling over to the living room, letting himself sink into the couch. As soon as bad sat down too, he let himself fall into his friends shoulder, like they had been hours before.

     "Hey don't sleep on me you dunderhead." Darryl smiled, pushing one of the still warm bowls into Zak's cold hands. "Eat first then you can go back to sleep if you want."

     "Fine." Zak said, cradling the bowl. Darryl dug into his food, and so did Zak, or so he thought. The episode of the show ended and the next one started queueing up when Darryl noticed most of the food in his friends bowl still remained untouched, and his tan hand holding the utensil was visible shaking. Oh no, Bad thought he was doing better, they had had such a positive breakfast that morning. He knew the Doctor told him recovery was slow but, his heart ached for how much he longed his friend would be okay.

"What going on Zak?" He cooed while wrapping his arm around his friend who now looked clearly distraught.

"I cant." Zak said so quietly, Darryl almost didn't hear him.

"Can't what?" He tried to ask as softly and genuinely as possible.

Darryl flinched at Zak's sudden movement while he shoved the fork into the rice making an angry clang as the metal and ceramic collided. Darryl understood, letting out a quiet, oh.

     He rubbed Zak's shoulder and waited while the other set his plate down and took some deep breaths.

"Sorry."

"For what Skep?" Darryl said frowning a bit, sad at how things had changed from the morning to now.

"You put so much effort into making food and i can't even eat it." Zak says in almost a whisper.